• Author
      Participant

I’m busy this week, studio on a budget.

Participant

day two.

Participant

make your own diffuser/scrim:

note for video shooters:

if you are using high heat lights like 500 watt halogen work lamps, do not use the furnace filter, use fiber-glass mat from the auto store instead and remember wood can burn, keep it far enough from the lights that it doesn’t get too hot.

GREAT series, Don. GREAT production quality as well. Enjoyed the teasers and the two-minute diffuser how-to. Thanks for sharing. Earl

Participant

Very kind of you to say Earl. However I cannot take full credit for the production value.

I’m doing all the work on the build, as well as the shooting and editing.

To get the teasers and a few short how to clips up and published, I’m using some of the “Canned” effects from imovie…. it is a great way to get a fast, slick looking edit…. with minimal time investment… the main how-tos will be up and published over the next week and a half to two weeks.

Participant

Done with shooting at aFilmtraining Manitobaseminar.
    Well, an LA producer described two shots from two different scenes I shot as “Iconic” … I worked with two teams of actors and directors. I had really good teams with very creative, talented people. What fun. What a talented bunch of people I had to work with. Cannot believe I got paid to attend this seminar! (most everyone else except the camera operators had to pay to be there.)

;0)

I like the trailers for the studio. I am currently redoing a room in my house for this…any idea when the complete videos will be out? Thanks.

Participant

I intend to start rolling them out soon, one every two weeks. in the mean time if you have any specific questions….. fire away here and I’ll see if I can help.

I do keep very busy, but check in to a few forums (here being one of my favs) while editing, since I’m at the computer anyways..lol!

Participant

Participant

this one is photo specific, but you could mount a cfl or led light into the unit and use it for video.

this segment was filmed using the lighting unit and lightstand from the earlier videos.

Participant

<span style=”font-family: Helvetica; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.296875); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469); font-size: 17px;”>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKL0cJVX13g&feature=youtube_gdata_player</span&gt;

Participant

softbox DYI

http://tinyurl.com/4xgxgax
    <small>[Open in new window]</small>

Participant

that last video seems to be going Viral!

thank you for watching guys, I appreciate that.

now I feel some pressure to make more videos and get them up there!

Participant

Participant

Participant

R U Hungry?

Participant

a quick discussion on how to set up your lights without having to buy a bunch of light stands in your home studio.

Participant

how to make your own digital backdrops (also useable for wipes)…

anybody finding these useful?

Participant

Don, thanks for the time and effort that you have used to make these tutorials. I have found all of them interesting and very useful as well as idea starting. For example, the last one started an idea for storing backdrops for future use in green screen, just as you planned to do. Anytime that we use a backdrop it just makes sense to shoot the backdrop by itself and catalog and save for future use. Of course it sounds obvious once you mention it but it didn’t occur to me before hand. I have received many great ideas from these forums, way more than I could ever return. Thanks to you and all the generous posters.

Participant

well, this idea was just the next logical step, from an old studio photographers words of wisdom… you don’t tear down your set, until the client signs off on the proofs… because you don’t want to have to set it all back up again if you need to re-shoot for any reason…. so knowing that the next question is of course… why not keep a copy for future use while you’re at it? lol!

Participant

Very cool! You’ve officially become the “Red Green” of DIY studio fixturing. πŸ™‚

I actually miss living in Alaska as I had time for tons of stuff like this during the winter. Now that I’m in North Carolina, I only get a little time. Now that its in the tripple digits I’m working on a new office but its not the same thing and not as much fun. I’m just “Kid Proofing” things.

Thanks for sharing Don, really liked the softbox solution.

Participant

I bet Red Green never used duct tape AND lasers in the same project…

seriously though, I was just askin in case people thought I was spamming…lol!

Participant

Spam? Your giving to much worthwhile info and anyone that combines duct tape and lasers most certianly has my attention and possibly that of the National Guard that is moving up through Montana as we speak…keep talking. πŸ™‚

We must have this “Canadian Tire” technology you speak of!

Participant

just another fun video…..

• Viewing 23 reply threads

Best Products

Best Products of the Year β€” 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
    homicide-bootstrap