Budgetary help for church DVD

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Please forgive the completely newbie question, but I have donated my services to shoot several commericals for my church at cost (hoping to subsequently get the wedding referrals). Considering I have a vx-2100 and the new macbook and just ordered final cut express, what would "at cost be?" The cost of DVDs, tape for camera, jewel cases, art for the DVD cases, and royality-free music? The Senior Pastor is asking that I submit a budget and really don’t know how to begin. Any help or referral to information would be so appreciated. πŸ™‚

Take care all,

Beth

Participant

Thanks Hank,

I’m right there with you. This is a rather large church, and the when he asked me to do it, he’s the one that said he’d pay for the expenses — I certainly didn’t ask. So I’d figure I’d pose the questions to you guys in the know before telling him the same thing.

As always, I do thank you πŸ˜‰

Beth

Inactive

Hi Beth.

Personally, I’m with Hank. If this is just a few commercials, and just a few DVD’s, why bother charging. Besides, you can write it off as a donation on your taxes πŸ˜‰ But seriously, I’d tell him that if he would just be so kind as to put something like "Thanks to (Your name/business name) for producing the new television commercials for our church. (You/your business) can be reached at (your phone and/or email)." that you’ll do it for free. That might not be possible under some circumstances, so do it for free even if they can’t agree to that. But having your name and number listed as an excellent videograper by a church to an entire congregation full of people who are likely to know people who are getting married is more valuable than all the hundreds of dollars you can dump into newspaper ads. Believe me, I get almost no referrals from my ads in the paper, but I get calls all the time from those who have seen me working in/at other churches.

Participant

What an awesome idea πŸ˜€ I will definitely try it. Thanks so much! It’s hard trying to start this up!!! (!)

Inactive

Yeah, I remember the glory days. No demo video, no advertising, no clients, no end to my initial startup costs. But enough about last week πŸ˜€ πŸ˜‰

Seriously though, starting is hard. You have to invest a lot of time and money, and usually at the startup, you also have the downside of initial lack of quality working against you.

On the bright side though is the fact that after a while, you start getting clients, your loans start going down (until you really want the next awesome camera or toy that comes out), and your quality improves. Actually, you’ll probably notice a dramatic improvement even in your first two or three projects. My wife had held a camera maybe half a dozen times before she jumped into this business. But even on her second wedding, she improved a thousand fold over the first. Today, she operates a handheld camera, and I swear she’s every bit as stable holding that thing as my $750 tripod is – she’s also a lot cuter than my tripod, but that’s another story…

Anyway, my advice would be to let the pastor know that unless he’s looking for a lot of copies of the DVD, you’ll do it for free. It’s a wonderful gesture, plus that money can go into other aspects of ministry for now. It also gets you into the consideration should they ever go looking for a talented videographer for their church staff, but don’t hold your breath on that one. It’s a rare church that sees the benefit in hiring a media technician to the staff.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment β€” 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap