Budget lighting HELP! Feedback please?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am shooting a range of exercise technique to be view on peoples computers (eg streamed or dloaded).

I am going to use a Sony HDR-HC1 to shoot it. NOW I AM A LITTLE CONFUSED ABOUT LIGHTING?!?

The gym environment I will be shooting in has no windows so it is all artificially lit by overhead fluorescent lights.

I have read this article about lighting with fluorescent at 5000k – http://www.bmyers.com/public/857.cfm?sd=30

And also this on lighting at 3200k – http://www.dv.com/features/features_item.php?articleId=23902714

I am a little confused. I am new to this so please help! Which is better which will produce a better look? Do I need a back light, as I cant see how I am going to be able to shine it on a moving person.

I need to make the basic lighting set up and get shooting ASAP, anyone that can help with info?

Thanks guys,
      Nathan πŸ™

Inactive

Nathan,
      It might take 5 or 6 movie lights to set this up right. A strong key light, a lesser fill light, a back light (or 2 backlights, 1 on each side), and 1 or 2 lights to splash some light on the background (might even clip a colored gel to a background light, for dramatic effect πŸ˜‰ ). Then see if you can get the fluorescents turned off. Mixing fluorescents and regualr tungsten lights looks horrible, unless your movie lights are strong enough to overpower the fluorescents.

But the fact that you’re asking how to do this makes me suspect that you don’t have a large assortment of movie lights. So you might want to go with just those overhead fluorescents (being sure to white balance before shooting). With just overhead lighting, you’ll have bad shadows on the faces (and everywhere else too). You might be able to counter this by laying some large white sheets on the floor between the subject and the camcorder (and not in the picture). The white sheets should reflect some light up into the shadowed areas, so your subjects don’t look like they have big black holes where their eyes shoud be. X-D Maybe a small light, low, on each side of the camera might help things too (but not too strong, or the problem of mixing fluorescents and regualr tungsten lights rears its ugly head).

Good luck ! (You’re gonna need it πŸ˜€ )
      Ken Hull

Participant

If understood right, you are on budget. To avoid fluorescent light effect, add some 3200K fill light.

Then depending on your budget you can go fancier adding key light and back lights, gels, etc.

Wedding Videos

Inactive

Thanks for the replies..

Can you guys ave a look at the links.. they talk about fluorescent using 3200k (and the other) 5000k fluros for good, even spread lighting..

But do I use the 3200k or the 5000…

Also a black back drop or a white? What you guys think,,?

Thanks again for all your help…

Inactive

Not one window in the place..

Hmm.. ok.

Man what a learning curve. I suppose I am just going to have to give wing it.. I might take a photo on my digital camera tomorrow of the space,.. and see what else you guys have to add. Thanks again.

Participant

nateaus Wrote:

Thanks for the replies..

Can you guys ave a look at the links.. they talk about fluorescent using 3200k (and the other) 5000k fluros for good, even spread lighting..

But do I use the 3200k or the 5000…

Also a black back drop or a white? What you guys think,,?

Thanks again for all your help…

Use 3200, the skin tone will look better. If you need a backdrop, use dark blue.

Wedding Video Critiques

Inactive

Nathan,
      Before going with a black backdrop, try to find out what colors the subjects will be wearing. Black on black is kinda hard to see. X-D
      But a dark blue backdrop would work well, especially with a couple splashes of light on it.
      Ken Hull

Inactive

They can wear anything .. I just want it to look professional and clean. I will get some photos and outline it somemore…

Thanks again guys you help is most appreciated.

Inactive

Hi guys,

This is a few photos of the space (no wise cracks about the clarity, i took them off my cell phone!!!).. I will obviously have to reposition some equipment so i can set the Muslin behind them. I want ask many more questions, I will just try some stuff out myself.

Now with the hair light.. if I have the fluros for the key and fill.. can I put them on a dimmer can you do that with fluros? Also with the hair light.. what small light will function as a hair light and work with the fluros?

Anyone know anyone in Toronto that I can have coffee with to help me with a few questions? Anyone?

Below are some images of the space –

Inactive

Nathan,
      It looks like the walls are lined with mirrors! That can make a very distracting background. (Hey, where’s the fun if there’s no challenge?) OK, so you’re using a muslin backdrop to hide that.

I don’t know how deep you want to get into this….. but that metal equipment is going to be very shiney. You might want to pick up some dulling spray at a professional photo supply store. Or back-light large white sheets, to create giant soft lights.

Have fun! πŸ˜‰
      Ken Hull

Inactive

looking at the photos, my advice is this: get up there and find out for sure what type of florecents they have. get a set of lights with the same color balance.
      positioning your subjects between the overhead lights, (ie one in front of and one behind the subject)will eliminate the need for seperate hairlights. (hairlights should be equall to your main lights. to start). I’d get two lightstands, and bolt two single or double tube florecents directly to the stands and use them for fill. your fill lights should be about half as bright as your main lights. rent a digital projector or two, and create some black & white (or colored if you prefer) "mottled" slides to project onto your backdrop. (personally, I’d set my camera up to work the angles and use the mirrors to show off the models nicely formed figures from both the front And rear at the same time and to hell with muslins…..just light and camera angles will work).
      set your white balance and you’re good to go.

Inactive

Quote "The majority of the lighting is either 4 foot T8’s 835 (warm white)" which is 3500k.

Is this ok? Feedback anyone.

Also I want to use the Muslin as I really want to isolate the exercise in the shot from all the other crap and visual noise and going ons in the background.

But there is also this issue… say if you look on the 3rd image i posted. I want to shoot the "Seated Row" due to a machine behind it (and partially a mirror also) I would need to have the Muslin very close to the machine. So that eliminates a hairlight as it just wont fit. Will this be an issue? Should I use the hair light is shots where possible.. or should i just not use it at all and go for consistency on the shots?

What Muslin colour and what clothing colour? – If you look at the images this is the space… dark floor, mirrors and white machines, fluro lights @ 3200k. Now shoud I use a black Muslin and go with white clothing on the models? Or white Muslin with darker clothes on the models?

Inactive

Nathan,
      I woud suggest a dark color, since shadows will not show as much.
      But I think viewers want there to be something other than a black void in the background. So how about dark blue or maroon, then use 1 or 2 small lights near the backdrop, to put splashes of light on the backdrop. It won’t be too bright, since the muslin is dark, but it will be enough to satisfy the viewer that SOMETHING is there other than a void. Then have the subjects in bright colorful clothing. πŸ˜€
      Ken Hull

Inactive

I want to steer clear of using bright colours on the models.. as I dont think it will look good with combo of colour I will have on my webpage.

What about these – ?

Ken good point about the black..

Opinions? Royal Blue?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120111903657&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D120111903657%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

or a light blue.. I like blue!

http://cgi.ebay.com/10X20-ROYAL-BLUE-MUSLIN-PHOTO-BACKDROP-BACKGROUND_W0QQitemZ280109051327QQihZ018QQcategoryZ30079QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think that work well with the white or black clothing that the models will wear..

Thanks guys..

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2020

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap