Broadcast TV spot dimensions and format?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

What are the proper dimensions for a broadcast TV spot? 720×480???

Also, how should a spot be submitted? I’ve read BetaSP, etc. But is a DVD acceptable now, or a .mov file?

Any help is appreciated!

Participant

It all depends on what the client wants and/or the requirements of the Broadcast company. Most broadcast stations prefer a tape format (Beta SP, Digibeta, DVCPRO)

DVD is rarely considered an ideal format for broadcast and is probably a bad idea unless they specifically request it.

I would not recommend a .mov because it us a file type more related to online broadcast, not tv.

DVD and .mov are compressions that broadcast companies don’t like for TV broadcast. Some companies don’t even except the typical DV compression or at least have a limit as to how much DV compressed video can be used in a show.

It is also a good idea to make sure that you use a vector scope and wave form monitor to check you colors to make sure they are NTSC compliant or the station may kick it back. Most NLE’s have these tools included, but there is no substitut for the actual thing.

I’m going to assume that they will want a tape format, but they will have to tell you what type they are capable of using.

Best Regards

Best Regards

Participant

I see. Thanks for the input!

What would be the best way for me to get my Final Cut Pro footage to Beta SP or another tape-based format without having to purchase a Beta SP deck? They usually run several thousand dollars, which is a LOT more than I can afford currently.

Participant

I have to deal with accepting material for broadcasting from NGO’s, government agencies, parties, etc. Within last 5 years situation with the media changed dramatically from the domination of BetacamSP to more variety, including MiniDV and DVD.

There are still some submissions on BetacamSP, but on noticeable decline. Different media outlets use different formats: Betacam SP and SX, DVCPRO and DVCAM. You can’t make everybody happy. I would say SP is still an industry standard, not sure for how long though.

Inactive

contact your local broadcast station, or cable station and ask them for their submission specs.

Participant

Thanks for all the comments! I will def check with the local stations to see. My main concern is that I’m going to be selling these commercials across the country and was trying to find the most common, which apparently in still BetaSP. I guess I’ll need to spring for a deck ASAP. πŸ™‚

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap