Broadcast Audio Question

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I would like to start making my work broadcast ready. I have heard that for broadcast they use a brickwall limiter set to -3.5 db. I know they use brickwall limiters but i’m not sure if that number is right, i got it from a amature source.

does anyone have experience in broadcast? can you give me some tips for capturing audio for broadcast.

Participant

I’ve always been told that for my final video, audio should hang out around -12dB and never peak over -6dB. It’s best to check with the station who is broadcasting though. They may have different requirements than others. But a general rule of thumb is around -12db and never peak over -6dB.

Ok thanks, I have no station i’m working with. I just want my stuff to be broadcast ready incase I stumble onto a really good story I could sell to the local tv stations. I plan on covering local events and somtimes it is ineresting to the local news and they show up late. I may get lucky and have some footage they want.

That brings up another question, what Video format does most news stations use?

Participant

I’m not sure. I’d just give them the footage on tape.

Participant

I dropped my MiniDV footage off at my local station and all was fine.

I happened to be filming an event and their camera guy got rerouted at the last minute so I dropped some of my footage off and they said they have the capability to use pretty much anything.

When I saw it on the news later that night, it looked awsome.

what did they pay you for your footage?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap