breaking into the professional video and film industry

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion breaking into the professional video and film industry

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Inactive

Do you think there is a market for an e-book that would educate people on how to break into the professional video and film industry without a formal education? I started without a degree and feel grateful to have worked my way up to a General Manager position of a major Northwest company. The company I run produces several travel/adventure programs for HD television. Over the last fifteen years I have been an Editor, Director of Photography, Producer, and now a GM.
      What a lot of people dont understand is that this is a meritocratic industry that does not require the time and expense of a formal education. Ive met many people that go to school for years to get their communications or journalism degree. They incur massive debt and then struggle to find any work at all. I have knowledge that I could share that would enable people with or without a degree to find work and stay consistently employed with top organizations.
      I am not the best or the most creative in the industry. I have just modeled successful people and read many books that I have forged into a sound game plan that has always landed me a job in the television industry. Do you think there is a market for an e-book that would educate people on how to break into the professional video and film industry without a formal education?

Inactive

I agree. Video media is a hands on visual experience. Writing about it only gets you back to the original problem of too much formal education and not enough experience. I started my business in 1983 without formal training in video, but lots of training in still photography. I went to a local college and bought the text books for a video production course. The hardest learning curve was developing a "shoot to edit style" that met my artistic vision.
      Maybe a seminar look mixed with field/studio work would be a way to approach the market. Open with your success and work experience from the ground up. This will give the viewer a sense that it is achievable.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap