bonehead capture question :D

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Ok, so on mini-dv does it matter what you use for capture? I would assume, because it’s digital, that the video quality is set when you film and should be lossless. Right? If I record with my XL1 and capture to my computer with my old panasonic, am I loosing any quality?

This seems like such a stupid question, but I’m curious to know how this workd. I’d rather save the wear on my XL1 heads by using my other camera as a tape deck, but not if I’m loosing the quality that I bought the XL1 for. I just need to know before I film any pick-ups for my school application demo-reel.

(On that note, has anyone had any experience or heard anything about the film department at George Fox Univeristy in Newberg Oregon?)

Participant

That’s a good question, I’d like to know the answer too.

Inactive

DV is a standard. Don’t worry about quality loss if you want to capture from another (cheaper) camera. Since the high quality data is already there…

Inactive

Hank,
    Aren’t there also problems with playing/capturing HD format from a non-HD cam?

Inactive

X-D

Participant

technically speaking capturing a standard DV tape on a DV camera shouldn’t matter, but like compusolver mentioned, there can be issues. you might want to get a deck or something for that. or use another higher-quality camera to capture with. capturing a 3-chip tape off a 1-chip camera is bound to have issues. they’re not built the same and will probably get messed up somehow

Inactive

It doesn’t matter. I’ve used about every combo in the field and office. I try to make sure all cameras and editors are recording the same audio bit rate; 12 or 16. Bits are bits.

• Viewing 6 reply threads

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
    homicide-bootstrap