Blue/Screen RGB values?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello, I just purchased a Sony DCR-TRV17 camera for doing educational videos. I would like to use its ability to do super imposed backgrounds but the instruction booklet that came with the camera does not say whether you need a Blue Screen background or a Green Screen background? Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Also, does anyone know the RGB values or Hex values or some other means for me to get some latex paint mixes with the correct color, hue, shade of Green or Blue?

Thank you,

jgaertner

There’s an article coming out soon in Videomaker magazine – watch for it. Meanwhile, notwithstanding that you need to keep an eye on clothing and eye colors, both work fairly well. The exception would be that blue is not in the normal skin color so flesh tones do better with that color.

Except for ME, of course – in a recent test project it proved difficult to get a good cut due to my one (yes, 1) blue eye (the other is green – go figure) and fairly WHITE hair and beard.

An even shade of either, evenly lighted and 12 feet or so from the subjects, if you are shooting and doing this in post will help in the process. Watch for shiny spots, reflections, creases, wrinkles, lumps and bumps, brush strokes if you paint, and other gotchas. Proper and even lighting is probably MORE important than any other aspect of shooting for B or G Screen.

Especially with today’s NLEs where actually, practically ANY color, or black or white, will do, depending on the colors in your foreground subjects and objects.

Here is a prior article in VM that covers from the green side of things. And as the article states most paint sellers will mix to the color if you have a sample for them to work with.

http://www.videomaker.com/article/14115/2/

Participant

OK, Thanks CraftersOfLight and EarlC. I still do not know whether this “older” Sony camera requires a Blue Screen (older process?) or Green Screen for filming (is it called fiming any more? I use to shoot “real film” inmy Bolex wind up camera! That was great! )

But I will get some paint samples and give it a try. The article had the CMYK that I needed. Hope to hear from anyone else out there…

Jgaertner

Participant

If you use Sony Vegas, here is an interesting article on difference masking (I tried this a couple of years ago and it kinda worked) – Not as good as chromakey but it was neat to get rid of a non-solid background.

http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/articles/dayvids/difference_masking_in_sony_vegas.htm

Participant

I use green because so many wear blue. It’s up to you. You can key out any color as long it stands out. Ultra hot pink works great when working with black talent. If you use blue, use only ultimatte blue. It holds refective agnets that make keying a breeze.

Green is the most forgiving. It’s all in your lighting.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap