Blu-ray Resolutions and Frame Rates

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Even though NTSC DVDs had a frame rate of 30fps (I know it’s actually 29.97fps), film content could be encoded at 24 fps which was beneficial for displaying it in progressive scan and also improving picture quality by not including unnecessary repeated frames. Even though the NTSC television refresh rate was 60 hz the DVDs encoded at 24fps displayed on progressive scan television would be converted to 60p instead of 60i. Please correct me if any of that is wrong. But PAL content which is shot at 25fps could not be encoded on NTSC DVDs at 25fps and there for had to be converted before hand which meant that 25p would have been converted to 60i and therefore we could never play 25p video (converted to 60p). Again correct me if any of that is wrong.

My question is if this is still a barrier for Blu-ray. Does (for example) UK content – whether HD or SD – need to be converted to 60i before it can be encoded onto a disc meant to be played in the US? Or can something shot at 25p be encoded as 25p on US Blu-ray and be converted to the proper frame rate by and standard Blu-ray player. BTW, what is the Blu-ray equivalent for NTSC. Is it ATSC or does that refer only to the broadcast standard? I hope I didn’t sound too ignorant.

Participant

“Does (for example) UK content – whether HD or SD – need to be converted to 60i before it can be encoded onto a disc meant to be played in the US?”

As far as I know, it still needs to be converted before hand.

Yes, ATSC is the..ugg, group?….who has developed Blu-Ray

Participant

Then can (and is) 25p content converted to 60p for U.S. BD?

Participant

Ideally you would convert to 60i, not 60p.

It’s not a conversion that NLEs handle well. You would want to use professional hardware

Participant

In Sony Vegas Pro 8.0, I have quite a few presets (see image below)- For MPEG-2 this is what it says for 1080i:

Video: 29.976 fps, 1920×1080
      Use this setting to create a Blu-ray 1920×1080-60i, 25 Mbps, MPEG-2 video stream.

Vegas converts (pulldown) quite nicely for me and will output all sorts of sources properly as 60i (or whatever I tell it).

MPEG2 Options

Participant

yes, NLEs provide options for you to convert, but that doesn’t mean it’s the best tool for converting PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap