Better Audio from built-in mic

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have a Canon XH-A1 and I wanted to know how to improve the sound quality of my audio, either while setting up the camera or via post production (I use Soundtrack Pro) the audio I get sounds empty or hallow, the subject of my videos are usually only 3-5 feet away from the camera, and I don’t want to invest in a new more expensive mic at the moment as I am still kinda new at this.

Any tips?

Cheers Adam<span style=”white-space: pre;”> </span>

Participant

without getting too specific, as I use audacity.. I first use the noise reduction filter to remove any noise or hums or hisses, then try playing with the EQ, Gain, expander or compressor filters…

usually the noise removal and a couple tweeks with the EQ is all it needs…

Participant

Adam, my suggestion would be to use a hard wired lavalier microphone ‘subject 3-5 feet away from camera’. If there is a Radio Shack near you, they have one for less than $30.00. This could be later used with a portable recorder lke the Zoom H2. Suggestion number 2 would be to sound dampen the surroundings in the room (if this is possible?). This would save the work involved in post. Monitoring the audio (headphones connected to camera) should give you a headsup while recording. Keep shooting.

Inactive

Thanks for your help, the EQ, Gain settings helped out a lot

Participant

Honestly, if anyone is serious about making video then the sound should be of equal importance as the picture. People will more easily put up with poor picture than they will poor audio. They are likely to switch off altogether if the sound is bad. You really should consider getting a decent off camera microphone as an important step. Then a good preamp and sound recording device secondly. The preamps in most cameras ( unless really expensive models) are generally not that great either. However, at least having a good mic will be a starting point.

Participant

The Xh-1A has phantom XLR- you can probably find some microphones that will do the trick without killing your budget, but even a $20 lav placed on your subject will sound better than a fantastic, high-end one 5 feet away…

Participant

No $20 mic is ever going to sound professional though. If you are usinga lav mic it still needs to be a good one. At a distance of 3-5 feet, a good shotgun mic has the potential to give you good sound. At least research some microphones. Look at mics like the Rode NT2-G or NT3-G as possibilities for example.

Participant

Lav mics are ok for a stationary subject butare not much good for a moving subject. Ashotgun mic can be used there.

Participant

Nope, it’s true, a $20 lav isn’t going to beat a Countryman and a cheapy shotgun won’t match a Scheops.  That said, getting the sound acquisition away from your camera (especially ones with tape transits like the XH-A1*) is going to yield better results.

*Tape sounds and handling noise raises the noise floor way past acceptable levels.

Participant

I totally agree that getting your mic off the camera is the best place to start.

• Viewing 9 reply threads

Best Products

The best stock media sites — 2019

If you’ve so far avoided using stock media in your projects because of the stigma it carries in certain filmmaking circles, you’re missing out.
    homicide-bootstrap