Best Youtube Format

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have been creating videos for Youtube ever since I was in 6th grade and back then the format requirements were pretty simple. Only 5-10 formats were accepted and the file had to be under 100mb long and under 10 minutes long. Since then Youtube has slowly upgraded and expanded on the possibility of formats and sizes it accepts. Throughout time certain formats were considered the best way to upload, for a long time it was .mp4 and .flv since Youtube would have to transcode the video the least amount to make it playable on the players.

Now that Youtube accepts resolutions up to 4K and file sizes of 2gb (it may even be more now, I’m not sure), pretty much everything will work.So here comes the question,what format can Sony Vegas 9 produce that will transcode smoothly to Youtubeand provide the best viewing quality there (Not locally on the computer).

I have always been a simple wmv fan, since it provides decent file sizes while maintaining a pretty decent picture. Lately though, with HD footage becoming more and more prevalent; I have noticed that Youtube and WMV haven’t been playing together too well. WMV can still produce great HD footage, but when Youtube transfers it on it’s own servers, the quailty is a disaster.

Youtube used to state in it’s help area that MP4 was the best format. So I tried the simple .mp4 (Mainconcept AVC, AAC) that is provided with Vegas 9 and which is pretty bare with customization. I made it 1280×720 (and I realize now I never changed the bitrate) and the result was watchable but the quality was noticeably bad. So I switched over to the XDCAM XE .MP4 option that is also provided which provided a much better looking video on my computer. ON Youtube though, it seemed to transcode into almost identical video as the first HD WMV I uploaded.

FLV sadly is not supported by Vegas that I am aware of.

SO what do you personally think is the best format to upload to Youtube is? What codec allows for the least amount of transcoding produces the best looking video?

Please keep in mind I want to be able to do this natively on Vegas unless downloading some other program is really worth it. Also, I’m a youtube junkie so I don’t want to switch to another service.

Participant

Youtube supports 4K? Who even has a 4K monitor?

Inactive

Personally, I export from editors as an image sequence (usually .png or .tiff) and let Quicktime Pro (about $30) do all the encoding to MP4. I use H.264 (the same codec YouTube uses). If it’s 720p (1280×720) I set the data rate to 4096 kbits/sec, which is slightly over the bitrate youtube uses anyway. If you find a video you like the look of on YouTube, right click it and press “Show video info”. There’s usually some good info on there, like framerate and bitrate.

An example of video exported this way-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SIkOxkxXBU

Good luck!

Participant

h.264

Participant

I think I will continue to use MP4 in the future unless these polls change dramatically in some way then.

Is h.264 mp4swhat most html5 players use natively today?

Participant

No. Youtube recognizes and translates the format, outside of your browser, and it recognizes just about everything.

I’ve never had luck streaming h.264

Participant

I voted other above. I like and my personal preference is rendering a copy back to AVCHD. I can burn the file to DVD to play on a Blu Ray hassle free, and use the file to upload to Youtube. This is if I have time. This process is time consuming, ads and extra rendering, and takes Youtube a while to re-encode. But is seems to look the best to me. Here is a sample below. It is in 360p here, but still looks good. I noticed that some of the H.264 encoded files don’t seem to re-encode as well. They look good in 720, but at the lower resolutions, not so much. As up here in Wisconsin the fastest connection one can get is still pretty crappy, I know most of my videos are not being viewed in HD and I want them to look as good as possible in the lower resolution settings. One will notice that the resolution settings on the video will go all the way to 1080p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXDxNlh4Eac

If I am in a hurry, I have a few different things I will do dependingt on the story and how fast I want to get it out.

For absolute breaking footage, I will upload the raw AVCHD (M2TS) file with no editing or re-encoding. This is just to get the footage up fast.

Example here ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDo4BUujyjI&hd=1

If I have some time but I want to get the story out (editing, rendered, uploaded, and then trans-coded) fast, I will render out to a 720p h.264 setting …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oprD-ih_FSg

… or if for say CNN Ireport, a custom setting I have that I call HD Light. Basically, it’s an H.264 that is set just higher than standard 480p. I like 800X450, at about 2.5 Mbps data-rate. It is just big enough to appear to look like the video came from a full HD file, but since the providor or server will not play or display HD (Like CNN Ireport, you local news local boy video page, ETC) it doesn’t pay to take the time or bandwidth to send them an HD video file just to have downgrade it to 480.

Here is an example on Vimeo, and one on CNN.

http://vimeo.com/15980636

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-528057

Well good luck and good rendering … Ah … that didn’t sound right. Well, just .. good luck and good shooting.

Participant

I noticed a few things on your video channel. I believe I found it here http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePJMcConnell.

Lighting, Angle, and Composition all still apply to video. Don’t use the cameras auto settings. Learn how lenses (especially the one on your camera) react to different light. Learn the manual white balance.

Lots of rapid motion will require a higher data rate, and shoot it a 30 or even 60 fps.

Be patient. Rendering HD for true quality takes time … lots of time.

I would try to re-render Autumn Adventureto AVCHD at full bandwidth (probably around 17 mbs). Keep it under 18 MBS for saving to DVD to play on a Blu Ray.

Here is a Tutorial on doing so in Vegas Rendering 1080p60 AVCHD from Sony Vegas for .

Good luck … and good shooting.

Participant

Oh, I wanted to say it looks as if you are off to a good start as far as an eye for editing. You are way ahead of me when I was young. Good job so far and keep working at it.

Participant

Oh wow, that’s a lot of useful information! Thank you on the comment on my videos, and I whole heartedly agree with you about lenses/higher fps and white balance. But I only own a Flip UltraHD camera which has no support for any manual settings and probably no lenses worth buying. Money, unfortunately, is tight in these times! For future/ more serious videos I will most likely be borrowing the local TV stations camera which shoots in 1080p AVCHD.

I will be trying the AVC encoding method you first mentioned very soon!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best micro four thirds lenses — 2021

MFT, or micro four thirds, is a popular mount style used by many manufacturers in conjunction with the micro 4/3 sensor. It’s good to keep in mind that micro four thirds camera systems use a smaller sensor.
homicide-bootstrap