best way to convert from 4:3 to 16:9

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have a GL2 and it shoot native 4:3, If I change it to 16:9 on the camera, the image is slightly stretched. I also find this to be true when I crop it in Adobe Premiere Pro. Is there a way to convert without reducing the image quality?

Participant

NO, there will have to be a compromise somewhere in order to match 4:3 and 16:9 footage.

The 4:3 footage will have to be stretched to fit a 16:9 project or the "ends" of 16:9 will have to be clipped in order to fit a 4:3 project.

To stretch 4:3 footage, I would recommend using the "interpret footage" feature in premiere.

To conform 16:9 footage, just import it into a 4:3 project and it will automatically cut off the "ends"

You could also import 16:9 into a 4:3 project and right click a 16:9 clip in the timline and select "scale to frame size" This will allow the whole 16:9 footage to be shown in a 4:3 window with the bars on the top and bottom, which will give the illusion of 16:9. You can than clip the tops and bottoms off of the 4:3 footage to match the 16:9. This obviously only works if the tops and bottoms don’t contain needed footage. If you can’t clip the tops of the footage, you may be able to just clip double off the bottom and reposition the clip to match the 16:9. Though the footage will look like 16:9 it is really a 4:3 with matte bars, this means that the footage will look like 16:9 on a standard tv, but it will still have the bars on the top and bottom on a widescreen tv, plus you will still have to set the tv settings to strectch the 4:3 footage to fit the wide screen.

The best option would be to just stretch the 4:3 footage using the "interpret footage" feature, or to just cut back and forth between 16:9 and 4:3 footage. Most normal people won’t be bothered or even notice the different types of footage, just don’t dissolve the different footage together.

Sorry this isn’t the answer you want but we can’t change the laws of geometry.

Participant

travis_h Wrote:

I have a GL2 and it shoot native 4:3, If I change it to 16:9 on the camera, the image is slightly stretched. I also find this to be true when I crop it in Adobe Premiere Pro. Is there a way to convert without reducing the image quality?

If you shot 16:9 with your GL2, then there is no need to convert, it is already 16:9, just set "widescreen" flag. I don’t know about Adobe, in Vegas this can be specified in project properties as well as in properties of a specific clip. If you shot 4:3, then you have to cut top and bottom parts of the video, specifics depend on your NLE.

Michael, Canon Elura User Pages

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap