Best Trick

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

What would you say is the best trick that you have learned so far with making videos? I’m curious to see what peoples answers will be.

Inactive

I’m also curious about “tricks” in production. I’ve been producing professionally since 1984 and I’ve taught video production to hundreds of individuals. So the “tricks” I taught were stuff like how to wind mic & power cords so they won’t kink up. Or to always run power cords for lights through the legs of the light stand, so when someone trips on the cord, the light isn’t pulled over. Always start recording before you think you have to and continue recording beyond the end so you don’t accidentally erase some of your video. The absolute BEST trick is to put mics on your subjects and maybe the next most important is to use a tripod with the third being “you need more/better lighting.”

Of course there are the “tricks” I share with other pros. Like, never underestimate the importance of packaging & presentation. Recording interviews is so much easier with two cameras it isn’t funny. The individual with the best knowledge of outlets in older buildings is the head janitor; they’re also helpful in finding the shortest cable runs. And you can use an auto interior as an emergency sound booth.

So anyway, I’m still wondering what sort of “tricks” we’re talking about.

Inactive

One of my favorite “tricks” or tips perhaps is involving a mono pod. Have you ever had to shoot a wedding reception or some other event where you just can’t shoulder yourself past the crowd to get a decent shot? I use a simple mono pod (I purchased from Wal-mart for about $15) that screws very securely to bottom of my VX2100 (3.3 lb.s). I then tilt the LCD so that when I raise the pod and camera in the air and position the shot above the crowd I cancapture my deisired shot. My teen-age daughter calls this the “camcorder on a stick” method. Works great ina pinch.

Participant

The sack that a folding chair came in will make a great tripod carry bag. πŸ˜‰

Participant

I think the best trick is that some people actually believe reality shows are real. HAHAHA.

Also, who needs steady cam…just use your tripod with the legs closed.

Inactive

The sack that a folding chair came in will make a great tripod carry bag. πŸ˜‰

I’ve seen a lot of people take advantage of that one; it just works so well

Inactive

I just learned an interesting thing about recording audio with a wired external mic and a VX2100. I was trying to run a shotgun on a 15 foot extension cable (unbalanced cable). Now I know I shouldn’t do this and if I do I should expect hum, hiss and or buzz – I got the hum. I discovered the hum almost completely went away when I used a battery instead of the power supply to power the camera. I know I’m a simpleton, but that is just amazing to me. So if you ever find yourself in this situation, go with the battery!

Participant

I read in Videomaker that U.S. electricity runs at 60Hz and a lot of times that’s right where you’ll find that hum. If you’re stuck with it, in post production you can apply and notch or band filter to the audio and tune it to that frequency.

Participant

If you have two characters talking to each other in your short film and they were shot at different times(because they were played by the same actress), then you might have a hum or noise difference between cuts because the A/C came on or whatever.Record foley ambience and boost it a little to helpor maybeput music underneath it.

I’m serious! That happened to me on my last film, where the girl has a duel persona in the script and they stuck me as audio/foley editor. They couldn’t shoot at the same time, because the other persona had a bunch of makeup, so there was noise problems.

Also,when you make your motion graphics title sequence in After Effects, nestor precompose your comps/layers. Then if you misspell the actress’s name, you can change it easily. Same film. I was so glad I’d organized. Organization is a great thing.

A closet full of clothes makes a great sound booth. A folded business card stabilizes a lav mic on flimsy clothing. A white bedsheet is a versatile addition to the ditty bag. It can be used as a reflector as well as overhead on outside shoots and it takes up little room.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Camera on a hand held stabilizer

Best camera stabilizers for video β€” 2021

A camera stabilizer lets you capture smooth shots without sacrificing freedom of movement. Here’s a look at the best handheld stabilizers available today.
homicide-bootstrap