Best Prosumer HD Camera?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello,

I’m looking for a prosumer HD camera to film indoors interviews, product shots, and people at work in the office/lab. I have a light kit but would like a camera that works well in low light so I can get good around the office shots. My output is to youtube/web and occasionally to a projector in a meeting. I want to be able to do depth of field and manual focus. I am considering the Sony HDR-FX7, do I need to be concerned with the CMOS/CCD debate for my application? Any other suggestions? My budget is ~$1K-2.2K

Participant

Personally, I’d go with the Canon HF S10 at this point. My only complaint is the rolling shutter of the CMOS sensor. The Canon XHA1 is closer to the pro/prosumer technology realm, but considering that the HF S10 records 900 lines of horizontal resolution, it’s quite a toss-up. The Canon HF S10 also utilizes the effecient, yet still young, AVCHD format. If you are out of a powerful (3.0+ GHz) computer rig, then I’d go with the XHA1 which has more professional features and better ease of editing.

Great deal on XHA1 (3-CCD camcorder) – http://store03.prostores.com/servlet/digicams4sale/the-1165/Canon-XH-dsh-A1-3CCD-HDV/Detail

HF-S10 for $200 less than MSRP – http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/597440-REG/Canon_3569B001_VIXIA_HF_S100_Flash.html

Participant

XTR-91, thanks for the reference, the Canon looks like it does it all, but that website doesn’t look legit, The camera is $3,000 on every other site.

Participant

I want to be able to do depth of field…………My budget is ~$1K-2.2K”

I’m afraid you may be dissapointed with the depth of field of most, if not all prosumer cameras by themselves. Most need to have a 35mm lens adapter that will allow you to use 35mm lenses to achieve that professional film like depth of field….a good adapter will run around $1800.

ifyour budget is only 2.2k, I thinkit may be wise to seriously consider something like the Cannon EOS 7D especially if you want to take advantageof the depth of field of a 35 mm lens……I think it will work great for what you want to do…being able to use 35 mm lenses makes a world a difference and these DSLR cameras make it possible at a fraction of the cost…Eventhough they have some limitations, they produce some pretty impressive professional HD video images.

Participant

Coreece, thanks for the advise, that’s the second time I’ve heard that.

Participant

Also realize that the Canon EOS 7D is a still picture camera. I haven’t heard anyone complain about the SLR’s “professional” video capabilities, but the very fact that it’s not a “video camcorder” makes it seem like a blind shot in the dark. Not saying that the SLR camera produces poor-quality video, but if you’re not also a prime photographer, than purchasing this camera won’t be that much worth the money. It does have great features in terms of resolution and lens interchangeability, but at your level, I wouldn’t aim at something that is primarily photo that claims to excel greatly in video. The video quality is good, but probably won’t beat mostcamcorders in the $1,500 range.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the XHA1 does not have lens interchageability. If 35mm lens (and your budget) isa MUST, then I’d go for the Canon SLR camera.

Inactive

You could check out my CD! Its a compilation of uncharted technical interviews on digital motion picture camerasincluding the RED ONE, Phantom, Genesis, EPIC, Mark II, Panasonic AG-HVX200

http://www.hdcameracomparisonguide.com/

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2020

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers...
homicide-bootstrap