Best mic to use in a room with lots of echo

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound Best mic to use in a room with lots of echo

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I need to figure out a way to record interviews and voice overs in a 24′ x 40′ room that has carpeting, but no other sound deadening wall coverings, curtains or ceiling tiles. I have not had much luck even after hanging blankets a few feet away from the talent. The wireless lav mic I tried was out of the question. The Shure SM58 is better, but the louder the voice, the more echo in the recording. I’m thinking about trying a PZM. Has anyone else had success in selecting a mic that is forgiving towards echo?

Participant

i’ve read that smalldiaphragmmics are the way to go. Something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/574511-REG/Audio_Technica_AT4021_AT4021_Small_Diaphragm_Cardioid_Condenser.html

Participant

The only type of mic that I know of thatis very resistent to off-axis noise is the long shotgun microphone. Long shotguns are designed for distance pickup and are very directional. A smaller diaphragm has a narrower frequency pickup, which works fine for voice. Like rob said, you should also look at narrow diaphragm microphones which will probably help the echo problem.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap