Best Mac for the Job

• This topic has 4 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 13 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am about to purchase a Mac for work and need some help for what will be the best setup for the Job. I will be editing HD footage everyday and want a computer that won’t need to be upgraded for a longtime. I will be running Adobe Master Suite CS3, mainly Premier Pro and intensive Affter Effects. I want it to run fast andwould rather spend the money to not have to wait forrenders in After Effects. I need to know about Processors, Ram, Raid, Video Cards, Etc. Would like to keep the computer under $8000 (not including the display).Also, is there a recommended place to buy Macs that will be reliable, but maybe a little cheaper that Apple.com?

Thanks,

Paul

Inactive

Hi Paul;

For the money you mention, the top-of-the-line Mac Pro is available and probably the best base platform. Lots and lots of RAM will go a long way. I’ll leave it to more knowledgeable input on specifics for video & sound cards. Apple controls Mac pricing pretty rigorously. Any reputable reseller will have the best price. I’ve had good success with MacMall, especially as I’m a ‘corporate’ customer (it’s not as big a deal as it sounds. Gives you a single person to call and they can negotiate with you). If you call ’em (800 MACMALL), they can probably help.

All the best,

– Rob.

Participant

I agree with Rob. And I will add that Apple has the most expensive RAM prices, so get your RAM from a vendor such as Crucial.com. Get the base RAM setup that comes with the machine, then add RAM yourself, it is extremely simple to do and will save you a small fortune.

Inactive

I too am in the process of getting a new Mac but, I’m a little unsure of what capture card to get from Blackmagic. I need to capture uncompressed video for a new documentary and I need some help in choosing the right card. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions.

Participant

If you are capturing from a dv cam with firewire, there is no need for a card. All macs have built in firewire which captures at full resolution both audio and video.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap