Best Lighting to match computer screen

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello,

I am video taping in front of my very large wall mounted computer screen. Actually, its a 55″ Plasma TV. I have a dest facing the screen that I sit at and I have a camcorder on a small tripod with the camera facing me on the desk. I want to video tape myself as i face the computer screen. The problem with this is that I turn all blue. The room has an incandescent ceiling light above. I have temporarily cured the situation by adding an 8.5″ clamp light with an incandescent 60watt bulb and two diffusers on it clamped to one side of the monitor. When I clamped it to the top of the tv, it gave me shadows underneath my eyes from my glasses that look like a football players black lines. With the light mounted to the side of the tv, one side of my face get illuminated more than the other sort of like documentary style. I can live with this for now unless anyone has any beter suggestions.

It is very bright and in my face, but teh second diffuser helps a little. I placing it to the side of the tripod, but it was so bright in my face that it didn’t look good and it made a reflection in my glasses. The point of this is to be able to view the screen while making it look like I am staring into the camera. I can even have my dialogue on the screen or notes to help me remember what I’m lecturing about.

I know that when you have incanescent lights in the room, you should use incandescent lighs to light the video and if you have fluorescent lights, you should use fluorescent lighting, but my question is, which type of lighting is better matched to the bluish hue given off by my monitor?

Thanks for your help

Woody
      Participant

how far can you turn the brightness down on your screen and still read it? It might lower the blue effect to a more manageable level.

Anonymous
      Inactive

That’s a good Idea. Thanks, I’ll also try that.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yeah… but… it does make you look more realistic if you have the light from the screen reflected on your face. It’s a technique that has been used in countless movies and TV shows, and for a good reason. I think the only time you would not want that realistic look is if it distracts from your message.

The best result you can get if your camera is good enough is to film in near darkness where the only light source is the monitor and show it reflecting off your skin… looks awesome and very real. I also have found that when you cut to the over-the-shoulder or POV showing the screen, you get a better result in a no-light situation than you do in a room with light.

Standard LCD monitors seem to give a better result than CRT or Plasma. I don’t know why. But I have found that filming LCD monitors (I used IBM ThinkVision monitors) in complete darkness, where the monitor was the only light source, and with Linux (which has typically clearer, sharper fonts than Windows XP) gave outstanding results and it was really easy to read the text on the screen and show user activity happening on the screen in that situation. I got great contrast, really clear image, and no distortion, flicker or annoyances.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors — 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.