Best image stabilizer?

• This topic has 6 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 14 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have a Sony VX2100 that I use at weddings on a monopod. I’d like some type of additional image stabilization, either hardware or software. I edit in Final Cut Express 2 on a Mac, but the included stabilizing filter isn’t very good. Any suggestions? The Varizoom Flowpod seems good but from what I can dig up on the it seems to take a long time to get used to using it. Are most stabilizing units this way?

Inactive

Surely, a tripod is the best lens πŸ˜‰
    But for dynamic shots, I use a Cullmann Travelpod DV.

Inactive

The best image stabilizer is a tripod! X-D

Just teasin!

As far as the cameras go, built in optical stabilization is the better than digital stabilization as far as final video quality goes. These do a pretty good job but if wont fix anything if youre all over the place. I know there is a plug-in by 2d3 called Steady Move Pro that is supposedly able to correct excessive movement. Its not cheap and from reading the info on it, Im thinking that it probably takes a month of Sundays to render out. I know its available for Premier Pro but I think it can work with Combustion and After Effects too. I dont think it works with FCP.

I have a Glidecam stabilizer unit which is really neat and does a remarkable job. When Im walking and shooting video, it looks like Im on rails. But here again its a MAJOR pain in the doo-pa to mount a camera and balance. Varizoom and Glidcam are so close to coming up with a neat unit yet they both havent figured out how to make these with some kind of quick connect system so you can just snap a camera on and go. Right now it takes me about 10 to 15 minutes to balance out.

Even though I was jokin around on top, if youre using a mono-pod, the only way to steady up your shot is by adding two more legs. I do weddings too and I would never use a mono-pod just for that reason.

RAM

Inactive

compusolver Wrote:

I’ll admit, I don’t know what a "Cullmann Travelpod DV" is.

A great little thing.
    http://www.cullmann-foto.de/en/products/tripods/travelpods/3090.htm

Inactive

Don’t you find that a tripod restricts your freedom of movement too much? I film solo, so my set-up is to have an unmanned camera stationary on a tripod that rolls during the event and then for me to have a monopod so I can be mobile to be able to move during the wedding & reception. Since I’m by myself I have to be ready to move quickly, but the stationary cam can be used for cutaway shots while I’m moving or refocusing.

Participant

Weddings are a workout, and to get good footage sometimes you have to work hard physically. My suggestion is to practice a lot shooting handheld, the more you do it the better you will get. With a camera that has decent optical stabilization, and training yourself to move in a way that is fluid, you will get very good, smooth shots to work with. You need to be in the right place at the right time, and being handheld is the best way to do that. Work very hard to use your body as a tripod, and your resultant video will show the effort.

Later
    ~Adam

Participant

Never during a ceremony, that’s just distracting and unnecessary. I am talking about the great detail shots throughout the day. The ceremony’s the easy part, get a couple of nice cams, and some nice tripods.

later
    ~Adam

• Viewing 6 reply threads

9   +   7   =  

Best Products

The Best Video Editing Software

The best video editing software β€” 2020

In this article, we’ll go over the criteria you’ll need to consider when choosing the best video editing software for your needs.
    homicide-bootstrap