Best edit hardware and GPU for Prem Pro?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi all,

Just trying to make the leap into HD with two PMW-EX1’s. I’d like
      to use Prem (last time I used it was nearly 10 years ago with Prem 6.5
      – having been using Edius since then) Pro. I’m a little confused
      though. I want to build my own system, but I think it would be wise to
      get some user advice on what sort of GPU would be best and what sort of
      editing hardware I should use. I was looking at the Matrox RT.X2. I
      would be basically editing XDCAM 1080p or 1080i most of the time. I
      would be using a little AE but nothing very heavy. What kind of GPU
      would be best?

Any help and advice GREATLY appreciated!!

Participant

Hey chris, I took a quick look at the system requirements for Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. The editing for HD (and even more so for HDV capture) recommends a whoppin amount of processing power, at least for my level of editing. The requirement for HD editing is a dual core at 2.8 GHz. If it’s a tape camcorder, the recommendation is 3.4 GHz. The amount of RAM is 2 GB no matter what king of editing you’re doing. An AMD Athlon would be another great way to go.

Furthermore, there’s a 10 GB hard disk requirement, a minimum display of 1280×900 pixels, and a hard disk drive of 7200 RPM or more. Sounds like a lot of information to throw at once, so your best bet would probably be to a PC or Mac with a good processor (maybe 3.5 or 4 GHz), at least 2 GB of RAM, and a good-sized display monitor, around 19″.

You should also check out Videomaker’s recommendations on editing systems – http://www.videomaker.com/learn/introduction/computers/

I’m not a complete expert on editing systems, but dohave somewhat ofa comprehension for computers and processing. Let me know what you find.

Participant

These guys have some good deals if you are looking for a workstation card VS. a Desktop (Gamer) card.

videoguys.com

These cards might encode a bit faster – but are much more expensive. I just use the latest gaming cards.

Since you plan to build your own system – i will give you the specs of what I’m about to build:

Motherboard – Asus P7P55D-E (just announced with next generation USB 3.0 & Sata 6Gb)

Memory – 4GB DDR3 2000 or 2200 MHz

processor – Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz

Hard Drive – SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB (fastest non-SSD Drive)

Graphics Card – Radeon HD 5850 or 5870 1GB (First DirectX 11 Video Card)

Boot Drive – Intel Generation 2 SSD 80GB

Case selection is a bit more personal since you will have to look at it for a while and depending on your specific needs. I’m getting the Lian Li PC-888

Power supply should only be what your system requires and no more since it basically acts like a heater so I’m looking at 400 – 600 watt systems. (thanks Rob for setting me strait on this!)

Good luck – Happy editing –Bri

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap