Best Computer For Editing??

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi,
      I am currently looking to purchase a new computer to run Vegas 8 and DVD Architect. I realize the importance of having a large hard drive as well as much RAM that one can get. My question to you experienced editors/users out there is; what are you using for a computer that’s held up rock solid for you? Which System do you feel is better; Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista? I currently have Windows XP Pro SP2. It can be either a desk top or a laptop. I do use an external 500 GB hard drive other than the hard drive on my computer when editing.
      Your suggestions in regards to computers as well as any DVD writers/burners would be most appreciated. Thanks, Ray

Inactive

Definitely go for Windows XP over Vista. Vista still has bugs and stability issues that need to be worked out. Also, unless you need to be doing a lot of mobile editing, choosea desktop rather than a laptop. For under a grand, you can get quite a powerful desktop expecially if you can built it yourself. And, yes, capturing, storing, and editing your digital video on a hard drive other than your OS Drive is always very smart. Hope this helps.

Jeremy

Inactive

Hi, Thanks for the reply. See my new post “Help in Hard Drive Choices” under Editing. Thanks again, Ray

Participant

Get a Mac and use FCP

Participant

Definitely NOT Vista. I have a friend who had Vista andhe had aLOT of problems trying to upload Vegas 8. He got it up EVENTUALLY…but I wouldn’t recommend it.

And forget Macs and Final Cut Pro,PCs and Vegas isTHE WAY todo it.

But what ever you do, Don’t Do Vista With Vegas.

Inactive

I use three PC Dells configured at 4 gb memory 500gb hard drives and a Maxtor 750gb external.

Software Im using is Adobe Creative suite 3 with adobe premier pro.

All works very fast and I know Not everyone can do this with budgets I build this up over two years.

The Pc’s allow me muti configurtions with input output boards something I found very helpful to stay fluid.

I started with a PC AMD processor at 2.1 gighertz so Iwas very successful with it and a 125 gb drive.

with 2g memory.This system was already 3 years old when I started. Still have it 5 years later. Added 1 250gb drive later. Everyone above is correct about Vista I dont think you want to take on this right now stick with what works.

As far as Mac or PC it’s a user choice although for me the costs benifit with add in boards has been far more reasonable.

Hope this helps

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best laptops for video editing — 2021

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap