Best Camera for my style…

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello,

First off I am new to cenimatography, I want to get into short films, mostly pertaining to martial arts and action, more hollywood style, not little bobby’s tournement =).

I would like to get that hollywood look that best I could, without spending too much money(I know, Im dreaming). I hear it takes correct lighting, angle, tone or mood, to achieve this.

The few camcorders that I have come across is the Canon GL-2, Sony VX2100, and today a salesman pointed me to the Sony HCR-HC3 but I do not know much about the HD cams right about now.

As for the first two, I know the XV2100 has better low light than the GL-2, I know there is a price difference between the two. I have read that the GL-2 has features that the VX2100 do not, I also hear it has better frame rates(that true?)

Sound is something else that I would need, I was thinking of getting a seperate mic anyways(also need suggestions on that as well).

The scenes I am wanting to do persist of an old warehouse, so the lighting maybe dark depending on the lighting source. In that thought would I be better off with the VX or hte GL, if I just got some decent standing lights(ie. craftsman work lights) would the GL-2 perform well?

I know neither the GL-2 or VX2100 are widescreen/letterbox format and I hear the 16:9 feature degrades quality.

As for the HDR-HC3 I dont know I havent read much about it, I know its a consumer, and does look like it has much options or very extendable.

Just need your help guys, sorry for this being a windy post.

Thanks in advance
      James

Participant

also if you guys have any other camcorder suggestions I am open.

Participant

If a cinematic look is what your going for then you should check out the panasonic 100b it has 24p capability. Which has a more filmic feel. The 2100 is a great camera but the panasonic is the favorite for indi filmakers by far.

Participant

videolab Wrote:

If a cinematic look is what your going for then you should check out the panasonic 100b it has 24p capability. Which has a more filmic feel. The 2100 is a great camera but the panasonic is the favorite for indi filmakers by far.

Yes, that is a really nice camcorder, a little pricey for starters, but you get what you pay for. I did see this model down AG-DVC60, but it doesnt have the 24p though only 60i and 30p. Hmm what to do, what to do.

Participant

Just a quick comment:

I myself am looking at the AG-DVC30. It’s not quite as nice as the 100b (not true 16×9), but it’s still quite nice for it’s price tag. I haven’t actually bought one yet, so I can’t tell you first hand how it is, but I’ve been doing a lot of reading on it, and it seems good. I’ll be doing indie films with it. I’m on a tight budget right now (can’t afford much more than the camera, mic, and extra battery), so you may have enough budget for the 100b, in which case it’s a great choice.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap