Best Camera for my style…

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello,

First off I am new to cenimatography, I want to get into short films, mostly pertaining to martial arts and action, more hollywood style, not little bobby’s tournement =).

I would like to get that hollywood look that best I could, without spending too much money(I know, Im dreaming). I hear it takes correct lighting, angle, tone or mood, to achieve this.

The few camcorders that I have come across is the Canon GL-2, Sony VX2100, and today a salesman pointed me to the Sony HCR-HC3 but I do not know much about the HD cams right about now.

As for the first two, I know the XV2100 has better low light than the GL-2, I know there is a price difference between the two. I have read that the GL-2 has features that the VX2100 do not, I also hear it has better frame rates(that true?)

Sound is something else that I would need, I was thinking of getting a seperate mic anyways(also need suggestions on that as well).

The scenes I am wanting to do persist of an old warehouse, so the lighting maybe dark depending on the lighting source. In that thought would I be better off with the VX or hte GL, if I just got some decent standing lights(ie. craftsman work lights) would the GL-2 perform well?

I know neither the GL-2 or VX2100 are widescreen/letterbox format and I hear the 16:9 feature degrades quality.

As for the HDR-HC3 I dont know I havent read much about it, I know its a consumer, and does look like it has much options or very extendable.

Just need your help guys, sorry for this being a windy post.

Thanks in advance
      James

Participant

also if you guys have any other camcorder suggestions I am open.

Participant

If a cinematic look is what your going for then you should check out the panasonic 100b it has 24p capability. Which has a more filmic feel. The 2100 is a great camera but the panasonic is the favorite for indi filmakers by far.

Participant

videolab Wrote:

If a cinematic look is what your going for then you should check out the panasonic 100b it has 24p capability. Which has a more filmic feel. The 2100 is a great camera but the panasonic is the favorite for indi filmakers by far.

Yes, that is a really nice camcorder, a little pricey for starters, but you get what you pay for. I did see this model down AG-DVC60, but it doesnt have the 24p though only 60i and 30p. Hmm what to do, what to do.

Participant

Just a quick comment:

I myself am looking at the AG-DVC30. It’s not quite as nice as the 100b (not true 16×9), but it’s still quite nice for it’s price tag. I haven’t actually bought one yet, so I can’t tell you first hand how it is, but I’ve been doing a lot of reading on it, and it seems good. I’ll be doing indie films with it. I’m on a tight budget right now (can’t afford much more than the camera, mic, and extra battery), so you may have enough budget for the 100b, in which case it’s a great choice.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap