best $800-$1000 hd camera

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

hey guys. ive been looking at getting a new hd camcorder recently to upgrade from my old home video style canon camcorder (finally) and it would be great if i could have suggestions for an HD camera ranging from about $800-$1000, although a little less or a little more is fine. and i use a mac, so also recommendations for camcorders that are compatible with macs (no avi, wmv, etc.). the types of videos i will be shooting will be mostly sketch shows and short films. the camera i was looking at most recently was the panasonic hdc-sx5, although ive heard things stating that negative things about it. thank you.

Inactive

Well, in that price range, it looks like the Canon HV20 is the choice, with a street price of under $800. A replacement model, the HV30 is coming out, probably at a slightly higher price. It can do progressive scan at both 24fps and 30fps, while the old model did progressive only at 24fps.

If you’re not using a tripod, take a look at the shoulder-mount-design Sony HVR-HD1000U, selling for about $1600.

Ken Hull

Inactive

ok thank you for the help ken.

Inactive

I’d recommend the Canon HV20 as well. Good camera, reasonably priced.

Inactive

I would most definitely wait a month and get the Canon VIXIA HF10 which is due this coming March. It’ll be an extra $300 that would be very worth it. It has the 24p cinema mode and believe me you will want that. 24p will give you a very nice filmy look to your movies. It also has 30progressive which will give you a very crisp image on your day to day shooting. It’ll be retailed at $1,299 according to the canon website and every ‘extra’ penny will be well worth it.

Inactive

I agree with the above posters, and for your price range, I would suggest the Canon HV20 or the newer Canon HV30.

They both will shoot in 24p, and the HV30 adds 30p, which is great for posting videos online.

Unfortunately, the HF10 recommended above has a drawback of being in AVCHD format, which is a little difficult to find editing software capable of handling that. Verify that the editing software you want to use can work with it before you decide on purchasing the HF10.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap