Best 1000/1200 camera to start with?

• This topic has 5 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 9 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi everyone, i was looking for a semi-pro camera to start filming decent stuff. Its price must be no more than 1300. I was thinking about one of these 2: sony hxr-mc2000e or the hxr-mc50e. which one would you pick and why?

thank you.

Inactive

I also found the nex-vg20e. is it better than the other 2?

Riccardo – what kind of “decent stuff” do you want to shoot with your new semi-pro camcorder? If it is fast moving action, that calls for one kind of camera. If it is carefully crafted shots with deliberate setups for a movie that you plan to show on a big screen, that calls for something else.

The MC2000e and the MC50e both shoot 1080i or “interlaced” video. Interlaced video presents fewer effective frames to the eye than 1080p or “progressive” video. Most modern cameras shoot progressive – I would not consider these to be modern cameras.

The VG20e, on the other hand, shoots 1080p, but it has no power zoom, is primarily touchscreen controlled, and it has an amateurish 3.5mm microphone input.

At your price point, I’m not sure you can find a 1080p camera with pro XLR mic inputs. Ordinarily, I would recommend the Canon XA10 as the least expensive 1080p pro camera with pro mic inputs, but it is somewhat over your budget limit at about EUR1800.

If you are willing to settle for a consumer mic input and a touchscreen interface, the VG20 produces great images – I have shot with it and it is a fine camera – with some limitations.

Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Inactive

Fast Moving action mainly. I’ve planned to film some rugby matches of my team to see if i can create something nice. So basically you would go for the vg20e?

Participant

If you’re not planning to do this professionally, seriously consider saving a little cash and getting a higher end consumer camcorder. You’re going to get 90% or betterquality at half the price. These cameras will have a much larger depth of field which increases the accuracy of your focus – this is usually a good thing in sports videography.

Even though they will only have a 3.5 mm mic input, you can still get reasonable quality mics for this kind of work. Regardless of what kind of camera you get, look for a larger chip – 1/4″ is just too small unless it’s a three chip.

Something with 60p either in 720 or 1080 will help you get nice slow motion if you’re inclined to add that to your sports footage.

Think about the zoom range, too. Most of these cameras are in the 10x to 12x range. If you can zoom in closer without getting too shaky you can get some nice shots on the ball as it moves around the field.

Also make sure you have a good enough computer to edit AVCHD or you will just end up pulling your hair out in the edit process.

Hope this helps.

Riccardo, for fast moving sports action I would not recommend the VG20e. No power zoom, and the autofocus isn’t as fast as a fixed lens videocam – especially if you don’t have an NEX system lens, in which case you’ll have manual focus.

I agree with Joseph – at your price point, I think you want a prosumer camcorder such as the Canon HF G10 or something from the Panasonic 900 series. I have the TM900 and it is a fabulous camera.

Good luck with your decision!

Bill

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap