best 1000$ camcorder?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

Ok guys I’m in college and I was wondering what is the best HD camcorder I can get for 1000$ or so. Cash is tight so its gotta last me for a bit and I need to getsome good filming on it. I plan to take a missions trip to later this year and possibly longer in the future. So I am looking to do several things; I would like to be able to make quality documentary videos and promo videos for our supporters. I would like tomake some youtube video content. I need to make some commercials for my dads business. And who knows what else so it needs to be pretty versatile. I am open to used camcorders as well if anybody has any connections that would be great. I will be serving an orphanage in Liberia called Acers of hope and will make some promo videos for them. So if you guys know something any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. here is some extra info: I am a PC guy and I am getting the CS3 master package which includes video editing software. I am getting a dell insperon laptop with 2.2gig dual core 4gig ram 256 NVIDIA G-force with a 250gig hard drive. I would like some features on the camcorder but I’m not to picky as long as it works; I would like HD, MIC/Headphone jack if thats possible. I am not really sure what other features that I need but I just want it to work well for what I’m doing.

Oh and I asked my Dad and he said it is a non profit Organization so anything can be donated and written off as a tax deduction.

Here is a list of some things I could use if you know anybody but anything will help; lights, filters, green screen, whiteallence cloth, mic’s, good set of headphones, cables, wireless mics, and of course camcorder(s).

Anything else would be helpful I am kind of flying by the seat of my pants here telling my dad everything will work out.

If anyone is interested in the organizations information here is a link: http://www.acresofhope.org/ and you can contact me at: justreto@gmail.com

thank you for your support.

Participant

You can get a Panasonic AG-DVC20 for about $1200.00

ok thanks i will look into that. if anyone else has anymore suggestions I’m all ears.

Inactive

yoshomie,

The DVC20 mentioned by Aspyrider is a shoulder mount design, which is best if you’re running around a lot, shooting unscripted action. It is standard definition, not hi-def … don’t know if that matters to you.

Another possibilty, going for around $700 street price, is the Canon HV20. This is a hi-def camcorder. It’s a small hand-holdable design, not a shoulder mount design.

An item I did not see in your list is a tripod. A good tripod is a must. Expect to pay at least $200…. some of the better ones are over $500.

Good luck!

Ken Hull

Inactive

For the money, I would definitely suggest getting the DVX 100, you can get one on ebay for around 1000.0 slightly used and it also shoots on 24p, its one of the best and most cost effective prosumer cameras on the market, I’m speaking from experience, its a brilliant camera and well worth the money!! It gives you the most crisp look, might as well be film!! Except it is digital, but the 24p option gives the look!! Just be sure to bid on one where the seller has a high rating!!

Enjoy!!

Greg Brock

Thanks for the suggestions I have a trypod (not a great one but it will work for now) and as far as the hi def goes I’m not sure if it is a must or not I want it but I dont know if i need it. here is my delma I would be fine having a standard def camcorder because alot of what I will be shooting will be on the web. but if I need HD for like a church DVD then I dont wanna be sol I have seen standard def camcorders and they look fine and you can get more features for the money but I’m undecided what exactly I need. I think what I am going to do is record all my footage direct to harddrive using adobe CS3’s onlocation so I dont lose any quality and I can setup the viewing screen better. so what would be the best SD camcorder that I can hook upto my laptop with the most features and best picture quality?

I’ll check back now and again so keep the suggestions rolling =) and once again thanks for all the help.

take a look at this deal and please tell me if there is somthing better I know this is almost twice my budget but I maybe able to swing it if this is what I need.

here is the link take a look and let me know: http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=234774&up=192961

the reason i like this is because it does what I want with all the ports and it has many adjustable features, it has free shipping, and includes things I need like a hard case, filters, wireless mic system.I really want to be sure it is the one I want, this is almost as big a decision as getting married considering ill probably be spending just as much or more time with it =P I just dont want to buy somthing that I will be dissapointed with. thanks for advice cheers.

this is the other option i am considering just for comparison.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8220061&productCategoryId=abcat0403004&type=product&tab=7&id=1166236338024#productdetail

but like i said is it worth it just for the extras that come with the standard def camcorder?

Inactive

you should get a sony vx1000 if you dont want anything TOO complicated. if you want to save money you can get a trv900 that gives the same quality. you can get a vx for about $1000 maybe a little more. trv900 for about $600-900. im selling one for 500.

Inactive

vx1000 and trv900 are better than that canon. i dont mess with anything hd

Inactive

vx1000 and trv900 are better than that canon. i wouldnt mess with anything HD espcially if you are using premiere pro.

Participant

Yoshomie,

You may be far better off in the long run with the Canon HV20. You can use it in standard def mode, or you can shoot in HD and output to the computer in SD that way you have your tapes in HD for future HD use and the convenience of being able to burn SD DVD’s on the computer for now. It has auto modes with manual overrides, and both external mic and headphone jacks.

All of these features and more are in a very compact lightweight camcorder (this will be important while travelling and working on location).

This will leave you far better prepared for the HD future than used SD gear.

Inactive

It sounds like the most important thing is the commercials for your dad; since he is paying the bill. I’d go for a nice mini-dv standard format camera with a good lux rating and at least a manual focus wheel. Editing on a laptop with only a 250 gig hard drive will not be a fun experience. The files you are going to import are going to be roomates with your OS and the fragmentation will lag your system to DEATH! You could always partition a chunk ofyour hard drive off to help with this.

With the ammount of work you want to do I don’t see you running a 250G laptop as your editing station. You’d be better off building some external drives or an editing station with large internal drives to handle all that video. Especialy if you want to work with HD video it will eat your space.

Trust me I’m on my second 500G internal hard drive and it’s at 60% capacity.

I’d just find a cheap 3ccd mini-dv camera with a manual focus wheel and a good min lux rating, (I’m assuming you won’t have pro lighting to start.)

And watch your ass with the internet stores, there are a lot of fake websites that will steal your money. ALWAYS CHECK WITH BBB.COM BEFORE YOU BUY SOMETHING THAT EXSPENSIVE! If it’s too good of a deal to be true; it is.

Inactive

You can get a Canon HV20 for about $700. Or do some comparison shopping at http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/camcorders/.

Participant

Yoshomie,

I think you will be well served by a Canon HV20 or the new HV30. These cameras are well within your budget and have excellent performance. As has already been mentioned, you have the option of HD or SD and can use miniDV media. For the moment HDV (miniDV) is the best option for most people who are beginning to shoot HD video. The HV30 gives you a couple of new features (30p format begin the biggest) but it will bump the upper-end of your budget.

Beware the Panasonic DVC20 mentioned above. When it came out it was widely blasted as a low-end consumer camera stuck into a pro-looking plastic case. Most reviews at the time were horrible. I have to confess that I have never used one, but I would avoid the camera. You can get much more quality and value for similar money elsewhere.

Good luck!

Dave Arthur

http://www.HowToVideoPRO.com

Inactive

HD is good, but there’s been talk about UDTV (Ultra High Definition TV)…it may come along by 2015, by then HD could be on its way out, going the way of VHS and vinyl records (which ARE making a comeback, some still use VHS), it remains to be seen.

I have no plans to jump to HD, but it’s always an option. I recently won an AG-DVC20, have read many reviews (a few negative, wonder if those who posted these actually worked with it, found ways to improve the picture quality, etc.), done much research, it should be a good investment. An HD/SD hybrid is also an option, I may be in the market for one in a few years.

• Viewing 16 reply threads

Best Products

A Lighting Buyer’s Guide

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
    homicide-bootstrap