Benefit of filming in HD

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Is there any benefit,or should I say noticeable benefitto filming in High Definition if your final out-put is in standard DV for the finished DVD?

I use the Canon XHA1 and find that down-converted HD footage looks better than footage filmed in SD. It’s also sometimes useful to have HD footage stored away in case you decide you want to do something different with it at a later date. Not always necessary, but worthy of consideration before you press the record button.

Inactive

I’ve not seen any real increase in image quality when HD is output to standard but if you keep your HD master files/tapes you’ll have far better images should you output to HD.

Participant

There’s a definite benefit for producing widescreen SD output, which most DV-only cameras aren’t designed to do well. For standard 4:3 output the difference may not be much, but it doesn’t hurt to start with higher quality HD source. Bottom line: you lose nothing by shooting in HD and gain a lot more flexibility in terms of delivery options for both widescreen and 4:3 display.

Participant

Thanks for your replies, it’s been really helpful. Filming in HD gets the vote.

Cheers

Paul

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio editing software for video editors — 2021

Let's look at the best audio editing software currently on the market, then go over the most important features to consider as you shop.
homicide-bootstrap