Being pressured to go Mac

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am just starting up my own little videography business. With the coming tax return I SHOULD be able to purchase a 2nd camera and have some left over to get a Mac or upgrade my PC. I was thinking PC mainly because I think the biggest upgrade I really need is a video card from what I hear – My PC is 3.0GHz dual core with 8GB DDR3 memory and a dedicated 500GB HD 7200rpm (System runs on a 10,000RPM drive). Sounds decent but I still find myself swearing at it while it TRIES to render. I don’t like waiting overnight every time I want to see the latest version of what I edited. My wife keeps getting hypnotized looking around online and swears I should really upgrade to a Mac because that seems to be the most standard out there at the moment in editing.

My currentissues:

My editing program at the moment is only Pinnacle Studio, which works OK especially with the new added Red Giant plugins, but I know I cannot use that forever. I have tried trial versions of CS4, and Media Composer with no success. CS4 refuses to do HD editing or capturing in the trial version – so I couldn’t really test it as I record in HD. Media Composerwould not recognizemy camera (an HVR-HD1000u), I tried for hours with no luck. So right there I am unimpressed with either program. My video card is a GTX295 1GB memory, so it is a screaming gaming card but horrid video editing card if I understand correctly.

My questions:

If I went with Mac – would any laptop be powerful enough for FCP? I prefer desktop for comfort but I will also need a laptop soon enough so I figure maybe start with the laptop – though still could go desktop. What kind of specs would I be looking at in a Mac Pro (laptop or tower) to be able to edit wedding videos comfortably before I start swearing each time something starts rendering – rendering my computer almost useless in the process? It has been 14 years since I touched a Mac but I guess I dont mind relearning.

If Istick with PC what kind of upgrades would I need to speed up the editing to keep me from bioling over?

A couple side notes: I just received a Sony MRC1 a few days ago so I would hope the camera recognition would be a non issue as I can copy directly to the computer. Unfortunately my trial versions of MC and FCP are now dead so I am still unable to TRY them. The second camera I am thinking of adding is a Sony HDR-FX1000 as I was kind of embarassed at some of the shots of my last wedding where the ceremony was in a very dim room and the gain went in overdrive. SO I need something better for low light and am hoping that is my answer.

Thanks for the input,

Adam

Participant

Before turning to Apple, you may want to look at Sony Vegas – I started with Pinnacle Studio and found the transition to Vegas very easy. They have a starter version for about $100 (Vegas Movie Studio) as well as the $600 Pro version. Sony also gives you a chance to try both out with free, fully functional 30 day trials (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials).

Participant

Thanks I will try Vegas – though I never hear about it being widely used. So long as it recognizes my SONY camera and lets me edit in HD I am all for it. I don’t need every special effect in the world, I just want something that can clean up my video and colors nicely such as Magic Bullet did in Pinnacle Studio. My edits are mostly just dissolves and fades – as I think it looks more professional in the end.

Does Vegas allow Blu-Ray creation? I have a blu-ray burner and I noticed a substantial difference when I put my last wedding on Blu-Ray and DVD and compared. Commercial movies I honestly can’t really tell all the hype, but for “home” movies it is a whole new world.

My main issue at hand though is finding a software/hardware combination that speeds up rendering. As stated I do get frustrated when a 10 minute movie takes 5 hours to render when I throw a few effects on it and it is rarely the final version. I have heard there are better video editing cards out there but not sure which direction to head.

I loaded my first video from the MRC1 last night and was delighted to see it in full 1920×1080 AVCHDresolution rather than the 1440×1080 HDV I got from recording to tape. I thought that getting the MRC1 would elimate the time it takes to transfer from tape to computer but I guess I was mistaken when it came to Pinnacle Studio – though I am not sure if this is the same with all NLEs. When I loaded the clip to Studio it DID recognize it, but it seemed to have to re-render it before I could touch the program or it would crash (I found that strange because with any other rendering I can work though my computer can get sluggish). So much for the instant transfer idea -but I guessit still saves wear and tear on my camera.

Participant

using final cut express on a 2.4 ghz macbook with 2 gigs of ram is taking five or six hours to render 1 to 1 1/2 hours of video with some effects to an external firewire drive, for me.

I wonder what the new mac pro could do…. it’s got like 8 cores and you could stick in a bunch of sata drives and 32 gigs of ram… drool…

Double,

You shouldn’t feel pressured to get anything. At one time Apple was the standard because they made the machines with the capacity to do computer video editing. That has drastically changed. However, I’m at a loss as to your description of your system’s capabilities not being able to properly perform video editing chores. I build systems for a living and from what you’ve described you should be off to the races with no prob.

Also, what windows OS are you running? Is it 32-bit or 64? Are you in XP, Vista or Win 7? Are you running a Home version, Pro or Ultimate? Also, AVCHD is a difficult codec to work with from the jump. Anything less than 4 cores and 8GB DDR2 RAM and you’re in for slow render times. As D0n described, you’ll have similar problems with an underpowered mac.

And yes, Vegas (DVD Architect) has Blu-Ray authoring capability. But you don’t need Blu-Ray capability to author ‘home movies’. Something similar to hunting squirrels with an elephant gun.

Participant

So basically I would want a Mac desktop maxed out AND a Mac laptop to go with it so I can unload my compact flash cards on location.

What can I do to my current PC to speed up rendering in Vegas/MC/Pinnacle studio?

“So basically I would want a Mac desktop maxed out AND a Mac laptop to
      go with it so I can unload my compact flash cards on location.”

Double,

Apparently you already have a computer well suited for video editing. It sounds like your problems are a) Pinnacle Studio and b) editing with AVCHD. Are you editing for a hobby or a living? When it comes to both high-end Mac’s and PC’s you’re beginning to talk some serious cash whether you build it yourself or get a pre-built. Unless you’ve got a trust fund or you’re making your living doing this kind of work, spending that kind of money to just do home movies is not justified.

As for making your current system ‘faster’, you never did answer my questions about your OS, etc. That’s some fairly pertinent info for me or anyone else who may be able to help you.

Participant

I don’t consider it a problem… just plan to do my editing so that at the end of the day, I can do the rendering and leave it go.

that is also why I run 4 macs. I can leave a project to render for a few hours and work on other things with another computer.

it sounds funny, but compared to having one speed demon of a computer, I got redundancy that covers my butt in the event of equipment failure!

Participant

I apologize composite1, I must have been writing that as you posted your last post and missed it, I will look it over now.

Participant

Composite1,

I am currently running Windos 7 Ultimate 64 bit. This was full version as I never trusted upgrade versions. I have a 3.0GHz Intel Core Duo, 8GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, Nvidia GTX 285 (gaming card). If I remember correctly the motherboard is a EVGA 790i. I have about 6 HDs but one 500GB 7200 rpm I will use ONLY for editing. My main system HD is a 10,000 rpm velociraptor (think thats what it is called). Is there any other system information I may be missing? I have built my own computers in the past, though this current PC is Alienware, but I am surprised at the home built feeling it gives.

You could say I will be doing this “for a living” as I have been laid off for 15 months and can not find a job anywhere near the pay I used to make, so I started this business. I needed to invest my $ somewhere before UI runs out. I have 1 camera (HVR-HD1000u) so far and will be getting a 2nd with the tax return (as stated earlier). This is all I will be doing, and the last wedding I was done editing in 5 days and the bride was ecstatic. Granted I spent every waking moment on the project, but I am still very much enjoying it and learning.

I havent really worked with AVCHD YET as I just tried dropping it in studio last night and had to let it sit while the render bar was going. So far today all I have done is wipe my system as it was starting to get unstable with so many trial programs I have been downloading etc. This is just my OCD way of fixing things as I like the fresh start feeling. Do you think AVCHD is a bad idea? The only options on the MRC1 I see are AVI and RAW DV – this is still new to me so not sure which is the best to use or if that is even the right place to set the record type.

As for the Blu-Ray – I already have the burner and it works with Pinnacle Studio. No reason not to use it if I have it. I noticed a huge difference on the last wedding video when I burned a blu-ray vs the DVD copy of the same video.

Here is a sample of my first wedding – I am almost embarassed to post as I know a lot of things need to be changed, as well as the copyrighted music – yes this will be changed in the near future. http://vimeo.com/8196299 This was all done on Pinnacle Studio but the Magic Bullet effects to clean it up among the other effects really got my PC mad at me.

Inactive

I did not feel pressured to go to Mac quite a few years back, but then the big G5 was about the only thing that could handle effectively the HD video. I used those desktops forever until I upgraded again this past year. I find that the MacPro along with a MacBookPro (maxed out) does a great job.

It took me a while without any instruction or assistance (we don’t live in a large city) to get used to the mac. However, once there, I find it does everything I need on a consistent basis.

Good luck with your choice!

Participant

I have the Vegas Pro trial downloaded, will try using it in the morning

Double,

No need for apologies friend. Okay, now that I see your specs, your immediate problem is you are editing and storing your video on your primary drive. You actually need dedicated HD’s for video and audio. If you have the money and space in your Desktop, ones for graphics and authoring wouldn’t hurt either. Oh and AVCHD isn’t necessarily terrible, it just takes more resources and time to work with it. If you don’t have either, I’d pass on it.

Concerning the gaming GPU, outside of a dedicated prosumer/pro video card, gaming cards are the next best thing. I use 2 linked PNY Nvidia GT800’s on a EVGA 780i SLI mobo with 8GB of DDR2 RAM and an Intel Quad 2.4 OC’d to 2.8Ghz. My render times for complex effects in AFX are mad short. Even pre-renders in Vegas are short and these are all HD scale renders (1440 x 720p.) If your specs are correct, you’ve got more than enough horsepower to get the job done. Your other problem may be Pinnacle Studio.

Seriously, if you are currently unemployed and are budgeting out your remaining resources for the purchase of gear, I would strongly advise you not to re-outfit to an apple setup. Right now you need to put what you have to good use. If you can’t wring some good work out of what you already have, a new apple setup ain’t gonna’ help you.

I looked at part of your video (it was taking too long to download) but what I saw suggested you do have an eye for the work. However, you need lights and a good tripod. If you must get new NLE software, then I agree with Birdcat get Vegas. I would also say that you’ll need a good light kit (3-4 lights with at least 1 umbrella, some scrims and light gels plus replacement bulbs.) You can also get away with using ‘Tin Cups’ (s,m or large silver aluminum light holders that you can get from Wal-mart or Lowe’s for $6 – $12 buck each) to augment your light kit with common fluorescent bulbs.

Support gear is where most of your money’s going to go. Not to mention extra batteries for your camera (you should have a minimum of 3 high-capacity batteries in your kit), consumables like tape and or flash cards. And if you’re using flashcard media it wouldn’t kill you to get a portable card reader/storage drive so you can offload your footage in the field. And don’t forget mics! You cannot seriously shoot using the built-in camera mics only. You’ll need at least one shotgun, a lavalier and an omni. Having a wireless kit or two would be useful and also having plenty of xlr cables of various lengths to hook up your mics to the camera in case the wireless goes down or is temporarily unusable.

Brother, all of these things cost money and you’ll have to budget for them. I’m not saying that mac is a bad choice, but I am saying it is currently impractical for you to go that way right now.

Inactive

I used FCP on my brand new Macbook Pro. it runs really smoothly. I would never know it was on a laptop. But if you are established on PC and either don’t have time to get through the learning curve or don’t want to take the time for a learning curve (and YES there is a learning curve despite what anyone says). I’m still learning how to use certain things on my Macs and I’ve been using it for going on 3 years.

“But if you are established on PC and either don’t have time to get
      through the learning curve or don’t want to take the time for a
      learning curve (and YES there is a learning curve despite what anyone
      says).”

Event,

Thanks for that bit of real-world input. Mac’s marketing implies that all you have to do is just ‘get one’ and you’ll be instantly flying into the world of computing with nary a hair out of place unless you’re grooving to iTunes! Horse hockey. You still have to take time to learn to use the blasted thing and when it comes to the interface and file handling, there are some night and day differences that take time to get used to.

Participant

My 500GB HD is a separate physical drive that I use just for the video projects. I do have one wireless lav mic (Azden) but I am not all that impressed with it. It worked fine testing it at home and outside but when it came to that wedding there was almost like a feedback hum for a good amount of the time and I was only 30 ft from the ceremony. It seemed to come and go depending on the grooms position. But from what I see, a decent Lav mic out there will cost almost as much as the camera. The rest of the mics aren’t much cheaper so I guess that is something I will have to work towards.

I do have a pretty powerful LED light that fits on the shoe but I couldnt use that for the actual ceremony. I also need to get a filter over the top I think to warm the color up. The quality of low light video from that camera has convinced me to get a camera that will handle the low light much better. And yes I know I can’t just turn everything on Automatic, but the HVR-HD1000u has no gain control.

I am not sure what you mean about the umbrella lights. I mean I have seen them but how practical are they in a wedding setting when you are really never at a dedicated location and are always moving around?

I ended up like an idiot having to use my crane as the main camera’s tripod as the wedding timing was kind of hectic and I had no time to move it to my Manfrotto.

Would you suggest then maybe adding 1 or 2 more GTX-285s instead of a Quadro or similar card? From what I know they all have to be GTX-285s to match my original, but do they need to be the same brand? Do you think I need to upgrade my processor to a quad core?

Thanks for all the info,

Adam

Participant

Oh, and is there an easy storage device out there to dump my CF footage into or do I need a laptop? I was thinking laptop, but if there is something cheaper and more practical I am all for it. I do have a couple card readers.

If you go to 2:40 in the video you can hear a little bit of the “feedback” hum – and I promise that was not the worst of it.

“I am not sure what you mean about the umbrella lights. I mean I have
      seen them but how practical are they in a wedding setting when you are
      really never at a dedicated location and are always moving around?”

Double,

Since you say you’re planning on doing this for a living, you’re going to have to have some pro gear. You absolutely don’t need the top of the line stuff right now, but you do need gear that is built for pro work and has a pro look to it. You’re wanting people to pay for your services so to a certain extent you and your gear have to look the part. No one’s going to fork over their hard earned money to someone with a ‘happy cam’. Also working with pro gear will make your life easier during shoots (reliablility and durability) in addition to when you get to the editing bay (a well lit scene doesn’t have to be fussed with in post to make it look proper.) To see more about light kits and their accessories like ‘umbrellas’ go to the link at the bottom. The kits you should be looking at should be less than $1k. 3 lights will get you started.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=2247&N=4294551170+4291360044&pn=1

Participant

Point taken. What about the SLI setup? Do all need to be the same brand or just the same type (GTX-285) and do you think 2 more is overkill or just one more? My board handles 3.

Double,

Here are some potential solutions for your support gear issues;

Portable flash media storage

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=colorspace+hyperdrive&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Mics

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/363083-REG/Rode_VIDEOMIC_VideoMic_Camera_Mounted.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/664440-REG/Audio_Technica_ATR6550_ATR6550_Condenser_Shotgun_Microphone.html

I also checked the specs on your cam. It’s a nice little rig. Truth to tell, you’re probably shooting at 1080i. Why? You’ve got a DV setting and the cam is capable of shooting great looking DV footage. Right now you’re trying to get established and you’re working against a learning curve. HD video is a nice selling point, but since you’re outputting everything to DVD, DV is just fine. Your cam shoots w/mini-dv tape so that’s not so expensive (get your tapes from B&H)

Tapes (mini-DV)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/240021-REG/Panasonic_AYDVM63PQ_AY_DVM63PQ_63_Minute_Mini.html or http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/132812-REG/Sony_DVM60PRR_DVM_60PR_Premium_Mini_DV.html Personally, for a few cents more, the Panasonic’s are the better bargain.

Concerning tripod issues, you’ll just have to learn to get set up quicker. When you’re a one-man band, you have to prearrange your setups and know your cues as to when to move to the next setup. If you’re indoors and you’ve got power available, there’s not much excuse for not using lighting. When client’s see a light kit setup where they will be it gives them confidence that you know what you’re doing and will give them their money’s worth.

Lastly, I did a check on both your card and NLE software. Pinnacle Studio was not designed for a high-end gaming card like the one you’ve got in your system. Consumer grade NLE’s are designed for more scaled down systems, you’re going to need to get Vegas Pro or Premiere Pro to take advantage of your computing power when working with HD.

It really looks like you jumped into all of this without thoroughly researching this info and now you have to play defense to get your gear to a level of proficiency that will allow you to work smoothly. Dude, running out and buying a mac setup is only going to give you similar grief. Take some time to check the compatibility of your existing gear with the stuff you’re looking to buy. It will save you some money and headaches.

Participant

You have already convinced me (well and my wife) to steer from the Mac. Actually I have been coming here asking the questions I have been to try to find the info to convince my wife we don’t HAVE to get a Mac, and so far I like the information presented. I do my wedding shoots in HD simply for the reason that, while not everyone has an HDTV these days, in the future it is almost guaranteed and if you want to watch your wedding video years down the road I like to deliver the best product for long term viewing. I even supply 1 Blu-Ray disc per couple regardless if they own a Blu-Ray player yet. I already have the burner and for less than $3 a disk it is low cost. And I assume those prices will drop lower in time like any other recordable media.

I am posting here for information here to get the best info I can for my budget and I appreciate that. Not lying my tax return will be about $8000 this year just from my writeoffs of equipment I purchased last year and my wife being the only one working at this time. I don’t intend to splurge all of it on equipment,I am justtrying to get the best bang for my buck. I have been looking at upgrading from Pinnacle Studio since day 1, and this is why I am here posting trying to find my best options. Vegas looks like it could be it – though I still need to try the trial version I downloaded, I am just trying to find time.

I do shoot with tape simutaneously as I am still a little weary of CF – just because it is new to me. I use it as backup. For shooting my son around the house though I stick with just the CF to save wear and tear on the mechanical parts of the camera.

Lastly I did jump into this quickly on purpose. Even if there was a bank account on Mars to keep our savings in it still has a habit of disapearing in worthless ways. I intend to make the best out of this I can so I can be prepared for the future and not have to upgrade yet again a few months down the road. All of the gear I DO have came from recommendations on these forums. Maybe the order of accumulation isnt the greatest, butI should be able to get what I do need come tax time.

Again with the SLI question – since gaming cards are more viable than I expected – I would like to add at least one more. Not just for editing reasons. Does it simply just have to be another GTX-285 or does it also have to be the exact same brand?

Thank you for your time and information!

Participant

Oh, and B&H is where a lot of my gear has come from – planning on ordering the HDR-FX1000 from them as well.

Double,

$8k huh? Hopefully you’re not planning to spend it all on gear! As for your SLI question, yes it would need to be the exact same brand and model. Did the card come with an SLI link adapter? You’ll need it to get the two cards to communicate.

Two truly important details to consider; First, there are only a few NLE and FX software packages that will take advantage of dual cards for rendering. AFX is the only one that comes to mind off the top of my head. Next, you may have to upgrade your ‘puter’s power supply. Anything less than an 850w will have difficulty pushing to powerhouse GPU’s. In addition to the power supply, you must get an Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) for emergency backup power and surge protection. The rule of thumb is 200w above your power supply (i.e. 500w needs a 700w + UPS.) That extra 200w or more will give you extra time to safely save and shutdown plus cut out those annoying alarms when you go over peak power.

Far as ‘shooting tape and CF’ at the same time. Those units I gave you a link for are just for offloading footage from CF cards. For simultaneous shooting you’ll need something on the line of portable recorders like the ones made by Focus Enhancements. They have versions with harddrive only up to 100GB and CF versions. With those you can have a tape backup and download your footage directly. They work with a lot of cameras and NLE’s but definitely check to make certain they’ll work with what you have.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=10042&N=4294544289&pn=2

Since you’re set on doing 1080i and Blu-Ray, you’ll want to upgrade your CPU as well. An Intel 3.0Ghz Quadcore will do you just fine. If your mobo runs AMD, a comparable chip will be just fine. You won’t need to OC it so don’t. I really don’t think you’ll need a second GPU. You’ve already got fast RAM, a doozy of a GPU and with the chip upgrade if you can’t work with HDV footage comfortably, you need to do something else.

Participant

The Sony HVR-MRC1 looks like it does the same thing you just mentioned if I am not mistaken?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/580065-REG/Sony_HVR_MRC1K_HVR_MRC1_Memory_Recording_Unit.html

The recorder hooks up to the firewire port andcan synchronized with the record button (or manually if you like). It will record to both at the same time – in fact the little downside is you cannot synchronize the record button with the recorder unless there is a tape inside. It is easy enough to use the manual record though, but its not where your thumb would be resting.

I use 2 Sandisk 32GB Extreme IIIs in it. So I can always be offloading one while the other is recording.

If I need to get a laptop anyhow, would that not solve all offloading issues and just offload to the laptop with a CF card reader? Then transfer them to my computer later on?

I have 1000W UPS already but my wife’s computer is also plugged into that. Its a pretty weak computer compared to this but I can still pick up a separate one to save the load.

I cannot find the power supply rating on the box – I will have to dig out the receipt somewhere.

If the only real upgrade then is the CPU, I guess the rest shouldnt matter much? Unfortunately for me to replace the CPU on this motherboard, I HAVE to remove the motherboard from the case. The heat sink on the current CPU screws into a bracket that lays loosely behind the motherboard. I guess I will just have to document well where all the jumpers are connected unless you know of a good heatsink that does NOT have to be attached in this way.

A story about my computer (not important if you want to quit reading) My computer “died” after 11 months. I was still under warranty and after troubleshooting they first sent out the motherboard (680i upgraded to 790i ultra) thinking that was the problem. Then they sent theRAM which was a hefty upgrade (DDR2 800MHz to DDR3 1333MHz) because they neglected to realize the motherboard used different RAM. Of course they had to have a tech come do the Motherboard replacement because it involved rewiring. That didnt fix the issue so they had me send in the computer and was thinking it was a bad CPU. In the end it wasn’t the CPU but the problem the entire time was onlymy video card that went out. It was an upgrade from a GTX 265 to a GTX 285. Even though I was without this computer for a couple weeks and the troublshooting was more complicated than it needed to be, I was VERY happy with all the upgrades and it didnt cost me a dime. Even after sending it in it was back within a week. How is that for an Alienware plug πŸ˜‰ I was so pleased I even extended the warranty 2 more years HOPING it will die again someday, Is that synical or what?

I know extended warranties are not always a good thing, but in this case I was happy to do so. I have built my own computers before, and this problem would have cost more than the warranty extension if I ONLY switched out the video card.

Participant

This look like a winner? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115130 Unfortunately I cannot go i7 withouta new Mobo – does this actually devote 4 cores to video rendering? Or does it only use one and 3 other cores are sitting there doing nothing. This is something that has always confused me about multi cores and I ahve heard multiple stories on each side.

My computer handles HD video finefor playing. The part that was slowing me down was every time you added an effect to pinnacle, unless you rendered that section, you couldnt see the effect you puton withut watching seriusly freezing video. I havent played with Vegas a whole lot, and still looking for a good tutorial but the 1 minute clip I threw in and dinked around with I was happy to see the effects I did put on I was able to see it much smoother in the preview window. I never added multiple layers thuogh which is what really got me into trouble with Pinnacle.

Participant

Another thing to consider in editing HD (for me at least editing AVCHD) was converting the MTS files to M2TS files (lightly compressed MPEG-2) first – I used AVCHD Upshift from New Blue FX/VASST and it does a superb job – Makes editing a breeze with no lag.

I used to edit AVCHD on a Core 2 Duo (2.0GHz) and 2GB RAM in Vegas Pro 8 without problems – The Upshift allows me to edit on a Pentium IV (2.53 GHz) with 1GB RAM.

Participant

Well I did it, got a new camera and ai LOVE it. Still have a lot of learning to do.

I ended up getting a Z5U because the FX1000 went up $300 on B&H and Amazon during the time I was waiting for my return, and the Z5U really is not that much more anymore, especially with a $150 mail in rebate now. Same camera, but with XLR (still trying to figure out all those dials but will probably ask questions tomorrow), and a real mount that suppords my MRC1 recording unit. Seeing as the FX1000 only seemed to have one shoe, I was scared about how I was going to use the MRC1 if I wanted to put a video light on the front, or a mic, or both. Thankfully the z5u has a nifty socket that naturally fits the MRC1, freeing up the other 2 shoes that are available.

I am a tad worried about the weight though as my wrists get sore in a hurry. I have a wedding this weekend, so I needed something fast and ordered a Hoodman Wrist support (H-WS1) – I hope this is my answer for when I dont have time to gear up in the X-10 (damn that thing is heavy as well) and need to shoot something fast.

Lolinger,

Thank you for your input. I’ve been saying the same thing about Mac’s for a while now. Oh and AFX since CS3 does support GPU acceleration. You can see the specifics on the Adobe’s “Render with OpenGL” page.

The specs show more than enough power to get the job done. And I’ve used Pinnacle for ages–rendering speed has not been a problem for me. I suggest you have a bottleneck in your machine somewhere. Is your video card PCI Express or straight PCI, for example. That simple thing can make a world of difference from my own (embarassing) experience.

I’d have a really good tech guy check our your machine for bottlenecks before I made any big decisions.

For what it’s worth, I’ve got similar specs (although it’s Vista 64 bit) and render times with HD video in Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate for me are nowhere near as bad as you’re experiencing. It’s more like “set it to render and go have dinner; when you’re done, it’s done.”

Just my thoughts. Good luck!

On the subject of video cards, I have a BFG Tech card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143188) and it supports linking; is that a good card for video or should I switchless of a gaming card and more of a video editing card? If it’s a good one, I’ll probably buy another to link together and see what that does.

Inactive

doublehamm, I was in your shoes about 6 months ago, I almost went with Vegas. In fact, I bought Vegas 8 for $200, but no pc to run it on. So I did my research, I really didn’t want to go with Final Cut Pro, but my buddy just Bought a MacBook Pro, He told me it is very stable, you don’t get as many viruses as you do with a pc. So I soon realize that I wanted to go thru Apple because of the stability factor and I then realized that Final Cut Pro is pretty much the standard. Most Editors are using Final Cut, I wanted the ability to be able to work on other projects that require Final Cut, so that is another reason why I went Apple. So I bought a 17 inch MacBook Pro with Final Cut Studio and it has done everything I have asked it to do. You should make the best choice for your situation and I was in your shoes 6 months ago, so I went with Apple and won’t go back to PC if I have to. Good Luck!

1. Rendering with Premiere Pro CS4 under Win7-64 bit on an i7 uses all eight cores (as shown by Task Manager). This capability is application dependent so I don’t know about other software.

2. Gaming-capable graphics cards are not required by video editors (today). Remember that gaming cards need to build, shade,etc. millions of little triangles and lots of other stuff for each frame, on the fly, and that is why they use massive parallel processing. While there is a move afoot to design GPU’s to perfom rendering algorithms, that is not today.

3. With PremierePro one can assign unique disk drives to various functions, such as C for the system, D for the camera files, E for the preview, F for the capture etc. Otherwise if the files are on the same disk the heads are moving constantly from file A to file B back to file A to file C back to file A etc. It is reasonable toassume other software does likewise, but I don’t know.

Participant

pseudosafari –

What kind of effects are you adding in Studio for your rendering times? I almost always havea Magic Bullet looks effect on everything, and then add other effects like time change, sometimes stabilization and more. I frequeuntly end up with clips that have 5 or 6 effects added to them and this is why I am having issues.

The Magic Bullet looks effects themselves are pretty heavy on the rendering. I don’t think these were available with Studio until Studio 14 (though many other NLEs support it). Are you also working with HD?

As for Vegas, I tried it, probably should sit and try it some more as it doesnt seem like all that tough to use. However, for Pinnacle Studio adding the Magic Bullet in the software bundle, I am kinda scared to move away. I know I can get it for Vegas, but that not only requires me to purchase Vegas, but then you need to buy the the Magic Bullet looks for anouther $200. Studio 14 total cost me $120 with some nice Magic Bullet software to boot! The Vegas rendering did seem faster though.

Now… with that being said I am sticking with PC FOR NOW, and now have an i7 laptop that I will be using to offload my CF files. As for a laptop, if I have a 500GB 7200rpm drive in my main PC at the moment, if I got a casing for it and made it eSATA to use on the laptop (which has an eSATA port) will is still be just as fast as an internal SATA drive for use in rendering?

I am gong to install Studio on there right now actually to see if I get any faster rendering on it.

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap