Beginners’ question on AVCHD files

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello all,

I’m sure there has be a question similar thrown around. I’m relatively new to Final Cut Pro and just purchased the Panasonic AG-HMC40 and am still learning it.

My question is how do I use the files my video is recorded to? If I put the SD card in my mac all the files are greyed out .cpi and when I try to connect with a USB nothing is recognized. I understand that .cpi is based of the MPEG4 codec and Adobe Premier can open it but is there any other way to go about this so I can actually edit?

Thanks for your time

I convert with Toast into the Apple ProRes 422 format. When I am using Final Cut, I am unsure about Adobe Premier.

I just found out about Toast, so I am no expert other than the little info I already provided.

Participant

You can open and convert those files into ProRes with Compressor, just make sure that you save the transcoded files to a ‘fixed’ location, otherwise, you’ll have to reconnect media (which can be a pain in the rear).

Participant

Well, I’m a PC user, so my answer may be irrelevant. I can see all my AVCHD files in Windows Explorer and in Bridge CS5 as soon as I’ve downloaded them to my computer.. I can open them all in Premiere Pro CS5 and edit them natively. Absolutely no transcoding needed!

Participant

The AVCHD shots from my Panasonic setup are in m2ts format. Panasonic providessoftware, which makes it child’s play to get the files ‘as-is’ into a file on my computer. That way Istore and index them, for future use, via USB2.

However, mine are destined for DVD and to ensure compatibility, I use the very best-quality mpg2 codec possible to transcode the mt2s files to mpg2. I don’t like, much, the backward step from ‘progressive’ to ‘interlace’, but we cannot have everything we want, in this world, without compromises. Panasonic provides software to do this transcode for me, but the speedwith which it does this, made me a bit suspicious, so instead I go the ‘long-way-round’ and use the TMPGEnc ‘Video mastering Works 5’ in combination with ‘Main Concept’ codecs doing batches of 30 per night, as ‘overnighters’, while I am asleep in bed.

That gives excellent results, andimage degradation (over the original ‘transport stream’), is negigible.To get the best from AVCHD, as such, I have to contemplate a new computer. That is something I intend to resolve in few months time.

Incidentally, for advanced technical information regarding the AVCHD/H264/x264 and similar mpg4 formats, I know of no better source than the information put out by the Computer Science Dept. of Moscow State University.

Participant

Hi Giles,

I know what you are going through… I am new at video editing and just bought FCP X and a Panosonic HMC80, same line of camera as you. I too ran into the same issue trying to import MTS files. Turns out there is a download from Panosonic that I tried which works for me: https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/desk/e/download.htm#avccamvmac

By using this now I just pop in the SD card from the camera and click ‘import from camera’. FCP X shows me the MTS clips and I can pick what I want and import them.

Good luck and let me know if you have a problem.

Participant

I should add, it was the ‘viewer’ download that I used. The other one does not work with FCP X.

Inactive

I figured out the answer to this question a few months ago. Please read the info to a videomaker post I made at the link below.

I recently bought an AVCHD camera and couldn’t figure it out either. After EXTENSIVE research I finally figured it out.

http://www.videomaker.com/community/forums/topic/importing-1920-x-1080-60i-avchd-in-to-fcp-7

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap