Beachtek Question – in a HURRY, as usual

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound Beachtek Question – in a HURRY, as usual

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m doing a wedding, and I have one camera (Sony VX2100) and two microphones. One is an Azden 100LT, and the other is an AudioTechnica PRO 24 (please tell me if this is a crappy mic, as I have not used it yet. And if it is, can you recommend a good one at a relatively low price?). Neither have XLR connections, although I do have an adapter for the Azden 100LT.

So, my question. I want to use both microphones so I can pick up audio from the groom as well as get some ambient noise/music, etc. I know I need a Beachtek adapter. Any advice on specific models?

If I sound like a total newbie, it’s because I am.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Participant

I had an Audio Technica pro 24 for about 24 hours before I took it back. The audio from it wasn’t any better than my on camera mic in my opinion. If you want decent ambient sound you need to get a shotgun mic with XLR adapter so you can get it far enough away from you, and up near the action where you want it.
      The problem I see with the Azden mic that you bought is that it didn’t come with an XLR output. You could try using an 1/8in mini to XLR adapter to run it into the beachtek but I have never used that mic so I dont know how good that will sound.

If you want to try to use what you currently have, I would see what it sounds like to get a 2x mini to 1x mini adapter so you could run the pro24 and azden both into the adapter and the adapter into your vx2100
      Or, better yet plug the pro 24 into a minidisc recorder or mp3 player that will record line in and just run the azden into the camera.

Later
      ~Adam
      http://www.inmotionvideo.biz/outdoorohio.html

Participant

Thanks for the response, Adam, and thanks for the advice.

What shotgun mic do you recommend?

Inactive

[quote="compusolver"]Uh, hold up there – I’ve got to disagree with Adam πŸ˜€

The Beachtek DXA-4 accepts mini plug input from your 100LT.

It has two XLR inputs, left and right – but the right may instead be used by the Aux input which accepts your 100LT’s mini plug – so don’t waste money on another adapter.

As for getting a shotgun setup so that it won’t pickup camera noise – here’s what I got:

NRG NR59111
      59111 Accessory Tri-Mount, Adapts Single Shoe Mount to Accept 3 Shoe Mount Accessories 24.95

Azden AZSMH1
      SMH-1 Shock Mount for Shotgun Microphones 29.95

This worked for me, but I was a bit chapped that they sold me a shotgun mic with useless shock mount and not only did they not tell me the shock mount was worthless (the one that came with the mic – the one I ordered above worked great – but they didn’t even show an upgrade option)

That tri-mount adapter will also let you hang two other accessories, like an on-cam light, etc.

I have an Azden shotgun mic. Not Hollywood quality, I guess, but adequate for events.

The Azden 100LT works great for weddings.[/quote]

Can the azden 100LT be used without the beachtek and if so, what would I exactly need too plug it into my VX2100.

Thanks Mike

Inactive

Thanks again for the great info. going to video a machine gun shoot in 2 weeks so i took my brand new vx2100 to the gun range yesterday to see how it coped with loud gun fire. It handled the loud noises great, so i’m going to use the on camera mic for now. what a great camera the vx2100 is and much easier to use than I expected.
      Thanks to people like you Hank, I have learned in months, what would have taken manny years to learn on my own. the money you save from learning from others experiences is priceless. Thanks Mike

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year β€” 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap