Basic video overlay in Sony Veags Pro

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Yes, I’m still using the trial version of Sony Vegas Pro 9 and am planning on getting the full version for Christmas. I’ve been playing around with the video overlay (multiple video tracks), and couldn’t get any child tracks to display until I began to set transparency of the parent video track. It seems that when I work with multiple video tracks, I am restricted within the bounds of altering transparency simply to get multiple trakcs to display. In other words, I cannot get all tracks opaque (fully visible) without dimming the first video track.

How do I create a basic overlay (PiP) with full opacity levels – no transparency – on all videotracks? Is this possible without a complicated set of masks? Masking is another one of those Vegas features that I’m still trying to learn.

Participant

I have done some things with Vegas 8 by using the track motion function. I did not use the child track function. I placed a background animation on the bottom track and different video clips in the tracks above. I then used track motion to size and fly the different video clips on and off the backgroud animation. Each piece of video that I sized and fly on and off are on separate tracks.

I would have to think that vegas 9 would operate the same way. Here is a link to a video sample I put together for someone.The track mostion stuffis in the first 10seconds.I was using the vast training videos that give a great tutorial on using track motion. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xaafwl_soccer-practice-4_people

Participant

Nice sample overlay and graphics video, but this doesn’t explain my problem of getting opaque content to overlay on top ofopaque video. It looks seemingly simple to adjust transparency/add video affects in order to perform this step. More clearly stated, I want 100% opacity content to overlay 100% opacity video. Just wondering if this option exists without a complicated setup of masks, Media FX, or video affects.

Inactive

I use Vegas Pro 9, but i dont think i am quite getting what you mean. If you put a 100% opacity video on top of another 100% opacity video, thesecondone wont show. if you want the first video to barely appear, just turn the opcaity down to 80-90%…

But if you want to put a small video on top of a larger one one, go to the “event pan/crop” of the video, make the square with the F in the middle bigger (the “F square” represents the screen the video will be playing on…), and just move the square around….

I hope this answers your question…if i am having a blond moment, just explain in detail what you want….

=D

Participant

I am with shippocaio on this, I don’t quite understand what you are trying to achieve. You stated PIP in your first post. Which implies to me that you want to overlay a smaller video track on top of a larger one. If that is what you want then you can use the pan/crop as shipocaio stated or the track motion.

I think the track motion will give you better control of the size and location of the video. without actually cropping any of it.

Participant

What I am trying to achieve is creating a basic PiP setup with small images that overlay the master video track. There should be no cropping involved in this step. Every time the opacity of the first video track is set to 100%, no other picture/title/video objects will show up on the screen.

I’ve tried adjusting, resizing, and adding motion to the secondary video tracks. No other video tracks will display without adding transparency to the first. Similarly, the “PiP” video tracks will not show up with full opacity unless the first track is set to 0%. In other words, the transparency levels must always be “compromised” in order for more than one track to display.

Fromwhat I’ve tried, there seems to be no way of overlaying multiple (all opaque) video tracks. Without adjusting transparency, nothing seems to work.

Participant

for a quick PiP use the track motion. place the background video as the bottom-est track and the resized clips as the overlaying clips. u will find it to be the easiest compositing trick as exemplified by sony vegas.

for example assume u have 3 video clips. one of a child, the father and their house. to make the child and father as PiP over the house as the background:

add 3 video tracks. ctrl+shift +Q………………then place the house on the lowermost track. child and father on the tracks above.

now use the track motion of the track with the clip of child and dad. resize and place them where u want them.

leave the track containing the house clip alone.

voila. u are done.

Inactive

If you’re interested, there is a training video on sony’s website specifically for creating this effect. It’s called “Working with Track Motion” and is located here… http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/support/trainingvids-stroud.asp

In your last post, you mention that you have to change the opacity to the first video track (which would be the upper video track in Vegas I believe), to see the video tracks underneath. This would beaccurate because Vegas works from the top down in regards to video tracks.

The upper tracks would be the ones you need to resize, or make smaller, as the inset video(s) creating the PiP effect & using the Track Motion function.The lowest video track on the timelinewould be the main background video.

I recommend watching the video, it should explaing things. Hope this helps…

Participant

Yeah it sort of took me a while to figure out that the timeline track which was arranged at the top was topmost. Placing secondary (overlapping) images as the top track seemed rather odd until I began to re-arrange multiple videos to fill parts of the screen. It took some time of re-arranging before I figured out the front-back arrangement. There must bea part of my instinct that’s still used to the workflow of Cyberlink PowerDirector 7.

Thank youguys for all of your posts and links that might come in handy.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap