Basic: Panning inputs

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

My buddy asked me to help him with a video project. His DV camera has two XLR inputs.

Q1) Are these two XLR inputs used for stereo L/R channels?

Q2) With two LAVs and one Boom, how should I pan between the two inputs that he has?

Basically, I’m not familiar with the video editing component at all and don’t know how much separation he needs (if any) to properly mix the film later. Or if he can mix it at all between his two inputs? Shouldn’t I just mix it through my equipment and deliver a proper mix of all inputs to his two stereo inputs (there I go making assumptions again). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Inactive

Stigi,
      Your guess that the 2 inputs correspond to Left and Right channels is a good one. However, some pro cameras have the inputs individually assignable to L, R, or both. So make sure the inputs are set up correctly. Also, your mixer probably has line-level outputs, and might not have mic-level outputs. If such is the case, the cameras input should be set to line-level. Not all cameras have that adjustment. If you’ve got a mixer that only outputs line-level, and a camera that only inputs mic-level….. well, you’ve got a mis-match. You might try turning the mixer output volume way down; it might work. I don’t know if that would be risking damage the the camera mic input circuits. 😕
      Maybe somebody else reading this might know about that.

Good luck! 🙂
      Ken Hull

Inactive

Ken,
      Good stuff. Thank you very much for the reply. Looks like I’ve got some digging to do and perhaps another mixer purchase in my future (for the XLR-Mic output). Thanks for that heads-up. We probably would’ve just adapted it using something from Radio Shack and fried his audio inputs. Phew.

I’m open to any other advice others might have regarding making the transition between music recording and video (multimedia) recording.

Cheers

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
homicide-bootstrap