Basic Equipment Needed for Video Editing Suite

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Production Gear Basic Equipment Needed for Video Editing Suite

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello,

I am new to this site and forum so forgive me if this question has already been addresses.

I am a designer/video editor and my business is growing to the point I am moving from a home office into a small office space. My video production/editing business looks like it may be increasing so I’m looking for some advice on any specific equipment I would need to get basic editing suite set up. I’m looking for specific info if anyone has it so I can price everything out. Currently, the editing I do is on a Macbook Pro with Final Cut Pro and I use an external firewire 800 harddrive when editing.

If you were to create your own editing suite, what equipment/brands/models would you recommend as far as monitors, systems, monitors, etc.?

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to help me out here.

-Adam

Participant

with a macbook pro, I would definitely get the Matrox MXO2. This allows you to have any input/output connection for capturing and monitoring.

If you want to edit HD, I suggest buying a RAID. CalDigit makes some good ones.

Inactive

Thanks. I’m actually thinking about getting a desktop system to compliment my Macbook so I can have a stationary set up at the office and use my Macbook when not in the office. Any recommendations for what else I would need like dual monitors, decks, speakers, etc.? to start the makings of a professional edit suite?

-AG

Participant

Use whatever computer monitors you want – two monitors would be nice, but you can work with one. The important thing you need is an external monitor. This is not a monitor that you can drag windows into like you would with other computer monitors. Instead, this monitor only displays the video being played in you editing program. You need one of these because computer screens don’t accurately display video.

If you’re getting a MacPro, you should get a Kona3 card. This does everything the Matrox MXO2 does when it comes to connectivity, but it also does real-time up/down/cross conversions. This is handy if you’re going to work in HD.

Speakers? Don’t get cheap computer speakers. You want speakers that have a woofer and a tweeter, and buy the biggest ones you can afford. I like M-Audio.

I dunno what kind of decks to direct you too. I have no idea what you plan on shooting. In my opinion, go tapeless.

Some people have mixers at their edit bay, but I’ve never needed one. I suppose it’s necessary if you are going to do any recording, for instance, voice over recording. If you’re not going to do any recording, then I don’t really see it necessary. Mackie is a nice brand.

And get yourself a nice big desk.

Inactive

Thanks a lot for the input and recommendations…I really appreciate it!

Inactive

Anybody have any suggestions on a good studio desk to put your computer equipment on?

Participant

do you have a budget? consoles can cost thousands of dollars. I would just look at stuff in Ikea or Staples or something. I got mine from Staples.

Inactive

I went shopping for a desk for about a month and I looked at everything. I really did not want to settle on cheap stuff that I would have to replace in 2 or 3 years or after moving somewhere. I did not want to pay thousands of dollars for those custom editing desk. So I found a desk at Guitar Center, here is the link to the desk on the manufacturer’s website. I am sure if you go to Guitar Center they will point you in the right direction. I was with in a week to buy that desk at Guitar Center, but instead I found one on Craigslist and saved $200 on it. It is a Great Desk. It is very sturdy! I have been using it for the past 6 months. I like the construction of it, because all I did was screw the four legs on it, but I bought from craigslist, you may have to do a little bit more buying it from Guitar Center. You can’t go wrong with this Desk, I hope this Helps!

http://www.kkaudio.com/GCproducts.html

Participant

I’d go custom. Everything 3 grand an under was almost cool when I was lookin’ IN the end, it was best to fab exactly what I wanted for a 3rd of the price. I like em to sit high so I can tuck up under and rest my whole mousing arm. I need lots of room too.

Participant

I’m jealous!

Inactive

*drolls*

grinner…where do you live? Not that im going to your house and steal you editing station… *Gives a suspicious look* xD

Participant

I built that whole building around producer’s needs and my comfort.

http://grinnerhester.com/studio.wmv

I am moving this weekend into a small suite within another production company downtown. It’ll be a big change but the wee overhead will allow me to increase volume by dropping my rate to $150/hr. While that makes me the most affordable post house in the midwest, I’ll end up bringing home more. win/win

Inactive

Also is important to define the sources of media you will work and the delivery platforms.

For example, in my case some work comes in Digibeta and final edited output must go this format. This implied that besides the VTR I use a Blackmagic Multibridge Pro that allows me to import Video/Audio through SDI. Also some high end cameras can be attached to my system to import through SDI HD and if the production needs it a HDCAM video recorder may be rented.

The rest of the equipment handles pretty well HD (even if almost 2 years without mayor updates). FCP station with two displays and a Raid server connected through fibre channel. I say all this because you mentioned that your clientele is scaling and your needs may change pretty soon. If you don’t calculate well your clients needs may end upgrading or buying new equipment from time to time.

You need a reference monitor for the format you are creating the content to check how everything will look for the client. This is specially true if some of your editing and graphic work will end in the interlaced domain (in the computer displays you watch all as progressive video).

Furniture is expensive but Anthro makes some adjustable desks that are comfortable (I got one time one at around $750) This is their site: http://www.anthro.com/stands.aspx?computer-cart=creative

Participant

Hi

I’m will start shooting with a Panasonic AG-HPX 171 DVCPRO HD and I’m looking for opinions on What Mac Pro conf/spec I need to have to have an optimal-fast workspeed (well yes use the fastest.. yu might say but I like a bit more of arguments this& that…:) (transcoding, rendering,exporting issues. Or if I choose the 17″ MacBook Pro what spec should I look for. I will use both FCP Studio and Adobe Production Premium CS5.

I can’t decide buying a Mac Pro or a Macbook Pro, so I’m more than happy to get your professional insights

/adn

Participant

“I can’t decide buying a Mac Pro or a Macbook Pro, so I’m more than happy to get your professional insights”

A Mac Pro is more expandable and will last longer as a result.

The key to a fast workflow is a RAID, not necessarily getting the fastest CPU possible. A CalDigit HDElement will serve you well

Participant

Ok, thanks…also one other thought while thinking on what to buy:

I’ve read a lot about people complaining about the heat in latest macbook pro’s. Has it always been like that?

Is this a hardware failure or aren’t they just aimed at for use with video editing? (laugh! 🙂

I mean if I buy a top of the line Macbook pro 17″ I expect it to be the best with pro graphics card and suitable cooling…to just get the feeling for what you pay for..like!

Is it something “you have to take” when choosing editing on a Macbook pro?

I will use both p2 (Panasonic) media and SXS (Sony)

Have you any experience on the heat issue of the Macbook pro?

adn

Participant

“Have you any experience on the heat issue of the Macbook pro?”

No, I run a mac pro. The Macbook Pros do get hot though. It’s not like people get burned by them though. My roommate had one for a while until he got an iMac. He never had a problem with it…

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

A Lighting Buyer’s Guide

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap