Balance Colors for DVD Playback

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hey all,

Like many of you (i’m assuming) I am using my plain old acer monitor to edit and make corrections regarding color, etc. I got my footage looking just how I wanted to (on my computer) using Sony Color Curves and Color Corrector.

Then I rendered down to an MPEG2 as I need this footage on DVDs for mass production (3000 pcs), and the color is very blown out and crappy.

For any of you that produce DVD’s, how do you manage to make sure your colors aren’t all blown out and distorted once you burn it down to a DVD?

Participant

Like many of you (i’m assuming) I am using my plain old acer monitor to edit and make corrections regarding color, etc.

Unless you’ve calibrated your monitor using a tool like a Spyder, there’s no way to do accurate colour correction as there’s a big difference between a computer monitor and a TV set, even LCDs and plasmas. If you can’t afford a proper CRT (one that can be calibrated), try a small TV set and use the tutorials found at http://users.wowway.com/~wvg/tutorial-menu.htm to help you set it up. If you know how to use them, the scopes built into Vegas are a great tool. Using the Vegas Pro color scopes is an excellent tutorial written by Sony that should help.

Mike

Participant

k, going to look into this.. thanks!

Participant

Even using a Spyder isn’t the most accurate. What you’re still seeing on that computer monitor is a computer graphics signal.

Ideally you want an I/O card. It is inserted into your computer’s PCIe slot so you can send a true video signal to a broadcast monitor. AJA, Blackmagic Design, and Matrox make some good I/O solutions.

Participant

have any suggestions for one of those cards? That’d be helpful. Also, what’s an affordable broadcast monitor.. or what do you use?

Participant

I use the Blackmagic Intensity Pro because I just need simple monitoring. I don’t need it to do any up-converting or cross-converting. You will have to see what works with your system and software, though. Give them a call. I’m sure they will be happy to talk to you.

For monitoring I send video to a JVC TM-H150C broadcast monitor via S-Video, although, component would be much better.

I’m not sure where to direct you for monitors because I don’t know your budget. Flanders Scientific monitors are VERY good…the best. Panasonic plasmas are also quite good. If your budget is under $2500 for a monitor, then get the most expensive one you can afford.

Features to look for in a broadcast monitor:

A contract ratio of at least 1000:1 (although I believe plasmas are WAY higher)

Component, SDI, and/or HDMI connections (S-Video is a bare minimum for SD)

A refresh rate of at least 120Hz

If you know you’re going out to DVD, you can get away with using a decent home television. Just make sure you use the S-video connection if it doesn’t have Component. And remember to use color bars to calibrate your monitor.

Participant

this is helpful.. thanks Rob! Going to look around now…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap