Background Rendering of Timeline Premiere

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Background Rendering of Timeline Premiere

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I do a lot of editing on a laptop, so often HD files don’t play back in real time. I will sometimes use the render timeline tool to render the timeline, and was interested to know if there is a way to render a timeline in the background, or at least while working in another timeline.

Participant

@jk this thread will help you understand while you are having issues

http://www.videomaker.com/community/forums/topic/rendering-speed-and-cpu-choices

As far as watching and rendering. Computers DO NOT do multitasking bi-lateral. In other words, if using a dual core processor 1 core plays the video and 1 renders the video. Some processors are able to handle this kind of tasking, but the software itself must be written to take advantage of this feature. And herein lies a problem, just because a computer maker or software maker says it can, does not mean it will, software code is a tricky thing to write (I started writing code in 1982).

So what is happening, think of it more as switch tasking and not multitasking. So what has to happen faster then you can think, is the processor stops working on the rendering then plays a bit of the clip, back and forth, back and forth, but in nanosecond times. With that there is a problem, if your computer is using its CPU to both render and play, then the data pathway from the CPU to the memory (where your rendering and playing lays in wait) get clogged, and bam your video skips, but guess what else will skip or have a hiccup in it, yes the video you are rendering.

It is important to keep in mind makers of software and computers need to sell their goods so they will market multitasking as a viable feature even in rendering software. I do not do playback and render as the same time because of potential issues and flaws that can be made in rendering and more so if you are using a laptop. The above thread I pasted here will be of help.

Inactive

Is there any way to work at all in premiere while another timeline is rendering? I am thinking more along the lines of getting ins/outs set, then assembling one timeline, then assembling a second while the first is rendering. Basically, is it possible to minimize the render dialog.

Inactive

I wouldn’t be willing to bet my life on it but I am fairly certain what you are asking cannot be done. Maybe if you were able to open two instances of the same program you may be able to do it that way.

Dave.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best camera bags and cases — 2021

Finding the right camera bag or case for your gear can be challenging, particularly if this is the first bag or case you've ever purchased.
homicide-bootstrap