Azden WL/T-PRO any good?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Found these and wanted to know others advise on them. I need a lavalier system for under $100. I would only use it a few times a year but would like to have something since a boom mic isnt always an option.

Participant

I’ve tried most of the sub-$200 wireless setups out there including the one you mentioned as well as Sony’s, the Pro88W from Audio Technica and a Nady system. In my experience, all VHF systems are asking for trouble. Sometimes they work OK, other times they’ll make you say every bad word you can think of. I think mostly it just depends on your location. I’ve used them in gymnasiums at 150ft. with no problems, then the next night at another location I get constant horrific static that makes the audio completely unusable. Sometimes, even at less than 10ft., the static is terrible. If you do go this route, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS monitor your audio with headphones and test your location before your shoot to see how it sounds.

I’m personally saving up for a decent UHF diversity system – until then I purchased a Zoom H2 audio recorder – I can plug a lav mic into it and record great audio independent of my video, then sync it up in post.

Good luck!

Participant

I will go with futball8 on this one the lower ens wireless can give you a headache sometimes and other times works like magic. If you are not doing TV or other big time stuff it will work for you mine do what I need so no complaints. By the way i have the same wireless you are talking about.

Participant

I did my first wedding not too long ago. I went into the thing ecstatic thinking I had all the mic issues covered. I picked one of these up the week before and it worked well around the house in my whole 5 minutes of testing.

Then came the wedding…

I got home and started uploading my video and was soon horrified. Suddenly once the groom was up front, there was a low pitched hum – almost feedbackish like. You could still hear what was going on but the constant hum was extremely annoying.

Then the groom turned sideways as he and the bride faced each other.

The hum went from an annoyance to almost unbearable. VERY loud. Yes you could still hear the conversation clearly, but the hum destroyed any hope for a pleased client. They were only about 30 ft in front of me with no obstacles.

However, when the groom used the Men’s room down the hall and forgot he was still wearing the mic, the thing worked flawlessly.

Inactive

I advise you to take a look at http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/wirelessmicrophones/manufacturers.html. You don’t want to buy something now, that will be illegal to use in 5 months.

John

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2020

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and...
homicide-bootstrap