Avid Liquid vs Vegas + DVD

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m debating which one to get. I currently have the home studio (consumer) version of Vegas, but Avid seems to be the industry standard. If I upgrade to Vegas, it’s about the same price. Is there a major difference between the regular version of Avid and Avid Liquid? Any recommendations/comparisons would be appreciated.
      Thanks

Participant

The reason Avid is an INDUSTRY standard is that it covers more than just editing. Avid also supplies ways to store the video,a dn make it quickly accessable in the editor, via special databases, etc. So it isn’t just the editor, although that is what it is know for, but also for their ability to make a really stable editing platform for huge productions. Anyway, if you want toi use Avid use Avid free DV, as it is… well free.

http://www.avid.com/freedv/

I am a personal fan of the Vegas suite, I was using Vegas before Sony bought out Sonic Foundary. A lot of things depend on what you are planning to do with it. There are othe alternatives also… but if you have used vegas home studio, then you would be able to transition into Vegas 7 easier.

Anyway, if you are planning on being a professional production editor then use Avid otherwise it might be too complex, also if you are doing filmmaking, or just want to get a richer color sceme the Magic Bullet plugin that comes with Vegas+DVD is a must!

Oh and by the way, welcome to the forums!

Participant

Avid Liquid is not really an avid product. It bears the Avid name because it was a pinnacle product before Avid bought Pinnacle. If you want to learn Avid go with either Avid Free DV (which like the name implies is FREE and is the exact same interface as xpress and Media Composer) or Avid Xpress. If you want to work in the industry go with Avid or Final Cut. If not download the Demo of Vegas and Free DV (and premiere for that matter) and see which one you like best. Editors are editors so which one you like best will be best for you. However if your plan is to go Pro then use something that the Pros use Avid or Final Cut.

Participant

Yeah, so if you want to work in industry, Avid is really the way to go.

If you want to go Pro (whcih should be considered different from industry) get a Pro suite:

Premiere, Avid, Final Cut or Vegas… They all do that same thing!!! Or just do what I did, I bought Veags, and Premier elements. I have Avid Free, and I skipped anything Mac because I had everything I needed with those 3, and really I have everyhting I needed with Vegas, but Avid is a good learning experience and Permiere Elements let me rotoscope in photoshop πŸ˜€

Participant

videolab, so Avid Liquid 7 is not of Avid’s product? I heard they bought them, does it mean if I wanna learn that INDUSTRY editting I should go with something like Avid Composer?

Inactive

I am putting together a comedic outdoor television program and my partner and I will be doing it all – scripting, acting, shooting, editing, titling etc. We have some experience with Vegas but were wondering about the Avid Product after visiting their website and watching thier demos. Anyone have a reccomendation one way or the other for us. And if you do, could you elaborate a bit as to why?

Inactive

dokrok5150 Wrote:

I am putting together a comedic outdoor television program and my partner and I will be doing it all – scripting, acting, shooting, editing, titling etc. We have some experience with Vegas but were wondering about the Avid Product after visiting their website and watching thier demos. Anyone have a reccomendation one way or the other for us. And if you do, could you elaborate a bit as to why?

You really can’t go wrong with any of the editors mentioned here. They are all quality products that do the same thing, just somewhat differently. As one familiar most with Vegas but considering Avid and Final Cut for professional purposes, I am asking myself a similar question.

Vegas, in my opinion, is no less professional than the others, but it most different in its approach from the others. It was developed originally by Sonic Foundry in the shadow of their Acid audio editor and retains a similar interface to this day. I find it to be very intuitive. While I believe its credibility is on the rise with each new release, Avid and Final Cut dominate in the broadcasting and film industries. At that, Avid is still the predominant platform, for what that is worth. This is largely due to the fact that Avid practically invented the digital NLE over fifteen (or more) years ago and developed not just an editor but an editing environment for managing content. Over the years their product has been refined and related products, some targeted to niche markets like electronic news gathering, were developed.

So, if you are going to work in the broadcasting field, odds are you will encounter some form of Avid as the tool in use. Final Cut, due to its pared down cost of entry and similar function, is gaining market share in that realm and will be encountered as well. Essentially, if you know one it is not difficult to learn the other and there are even books on that specific transition.

If you are producing your own work independently, then it makes no difference which product you select and Vegas is a respectable option. Sony has picked up where Sonic Foundry left off and they continue to develop it into a very competitive product with a reasonable cost. Interestingly, Sony has recently partnered with AMD to optimize Vegas for 64 bit computing which demonstrates their intent to be on the forefront.

An easy way to test the Vegas waters is to download the 30 trial of Vegas of just buy Vegas Movie Studio which sells for under $100. Vegas Movie Studio in itself if a powerful product using nearly the same interface as full Vegas. Its main limitation is that it supports only four audio and video tracks, which may or may not be a limitation for what you do. Otherwise, it just might be a very cost effective editing solution for you, allowing for an easy transition to full Vegas if need be later on.

Don’t dwell too long on an editing choice. Pick one and run with it or bite the bullet, buy them all, and be all the more well rounded for it.

Inactive

if you want to go Pro have everything work and work well then Adobe CS3.

Vegas is great and easy to learn, better audio editing. (not considered pro by many and not a recognised name in the industry, however making huge inroads)

if you want headaches, no support, each version release breaking things but industry recognition by all means get Avid Xpress Pro HD.

Avid Liquid (when owned by Pinnacle) was awesome when Avid took over and released Liquid7 they broke it ( i think intentionally)
      as the whole point to Avid buying pinnacle was for their broadcast line, not liquid which was a direct competitor to Xpress and rapidly gaining ground.

it really depends on what you intend to do.

Commercials? 80% are done with Avid or Final Cut. however Adobe is a strong contender and gaining alot of ground.

news? see above

training video? take your pick.. you will run into clients that will go with someone else just because of what software you use.

Movies? who cares what you use.

Weddings? i doubt the bride gives a crap what you use. (others may want to jump in)

Scott
      ADK

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap