avid express pro and raid o compatability?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing avid express pro and raid o compatability?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

i am looking at a dell system. One of the options for a hard drive is
      320GB Performance RAID 0 (2 x 160GB SATA HDDs)

i was wondering if the OS and all programs can be loaded onto a raid like this or if some programs need their own drive. I had some trouble trying to find it on avids site…http://www.avid.com/products/xpressprohd/specs.asp

if its better, i don’t mind having 1 250 gig 7200rpm drive and getting a external hard drive for storage.

i plan on using avid express pro, so if there is some kind of complication or compatability issue…please let me know. i am going to call avid tomorrow…but i was just curiouse if any of you knew off hand. thanks a bunch guys!

Inactive

A couple of thoughts here:

You would be much better off if you had a PC custom built for you or you build one yourself so that you can get the right kind of components needed for effective video editing. Building one would end up costing you less money than ordering one and it will have a lot more power. Dell and other PC manufacturing companies usually use proprietary components that sometimes are not that upgradeable. Of course buying a high powered Dell will work too if you dont plan on upgrading anything.

However, because it looks like you are ordering a PC, (IMO) I would order it with a single 80 or 120 HD as your first drive and then have the RAID 0 array for a second drive. A RAID 0 array will appear as one virtual drive to your operating system even though there are two physical disk drives. Ordering just the RAID 0 array for your boot, system, program and video drive will work but youre kind of defeating the purpose especially for video editing. Think of it like if YOU (a hard drive) were the only one working at a McDonalds and you had to make the burgers, fry the fries, pour the sodas and wait on the customers. Thats a lot of running around. The difference between a SATA and a standard ATA drive would be you wearing roller skates. Now if you had a few other people (hard drives) things will run easier and faster and you would be sharing the workload.

You are doing the right thing by checking with Avid. I know that Adobe has an issue with their new releases because of this new online activation system they have. The programs think that they are on two different computers because of the two different HDs or something like that.

Oh yeah… to answer your question, a RAID 0 array will act just like a single drive. All it’s doing (behind the scenes) is splitting the data up between two different drives thus creating faster thoughtput.

RAM

Inactive

Video-maniac

thanks for the reply.

so basically you would suggest a single drive for OS and programs to be installed on, and have a raid array for storage?

i have looked into haveing a custom PC built at PCclub, but i have had bad experiances with them in the past. And the reality of my situation is that i probably won’t do much upgrading. also, the prices i saved from them were not that much cheaper. i am going to be paying about 2500 for a dell and 19ich ultra sharp display. Pc club wanted about 250 less for just the comp.I am planning on getting 1 comp to last me threw school (2-3 years).

if you or anyone knows of a place to get a good custom comp in the longbeach/la area i would appreciate the recomendation.

i think what i will probably wind up doing is getting the dell with a single drive and getting an external raid array and hook it up threw firewire400. does this sound like a effective method?

the specs of comp i am getting or wanting are as follows:
      -Pentium D 3.2ghz
      -4 gig 533mhz ram
      -nvidia 7800 gtx 256mb (equivalent or better)
      -HD–not sure what to do here. i have also seen 10000rpm drives to load OS on and another one to store stuff on
      -dvd burner and seperate dvd reader
      -wind xp pro

and again…i will be running avid express pro.

one last question…do you think an 80 gig 10000 rpm hd would be sufficient for OS and programs…all storage on a serperate drive?

Inactive

😯 Wow! Nice machine. You shouldn’t have any problems there.

If you’re primarily going to use this for editing, then that 80GB drive should be plenty. Holy cow 10000 RPM that should fly. Im not real sure if thats overkill or not but I have to think that it sure isnt going to hurt any. They arent that much more than 7200s.

I think I have looked on Dells website and Im recalling that you should be able to order that machine with at least that 80GB as your system drive and a set of onboard mounted SATA drives configured into a RAID 0 array for what they call your second drive. You would have to click down on the options. That would be ideal. You can always add external drives later to really boost you storage capacity.

RAM

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best micro four thirds lenses β€” 2021

MFT, or micro four thirds, is a popular mount style used by many manufacturers in conjunction with the micro 4/3 sensor. It’s good to keep in mind that micro four thirds camera systems use a smaller sensor.
homicide-bootstrap