avi vs mpg2

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Could anyone tell me if it is better to capture in avi or mpg2 – I am using dvd as my final output. I would like to use whichever will give me the best quality. Thanks!
      PS – i am capturing from a Cannon XH-A1 if that matters.
      PSS – somtimes DV sometimes HDV

Inactive

Binnz7dw,

A raw (uncompressed) AVI file has more detail than an MPEG2 or MPEG4. When shooting SD, always capture to AVI, to save as much visual detail as possible. Of course, when you make a movie DVD, the final rendering will be to MPEG 2, but that’s not so bad, since the video only goes through that one lossy compression.

I think an HDV camcorder saves video to tape in a special version of the MPEG4 format. If you can capture hi def video from an HDV camcorder to a hi def AVI file on your computer, I would think that is the way to go. (Disclaimer: I haven’t done hi def yet, so an experienced HDV videographer might have a better suggestion for your hi def stuff. πŸ˜‰ )

Ken Hull

Inactive

I get much better quality from mpeg files.

I’ve used this workflow before:
      FX1 > Adobe CS3 > Interlace in time line > DV-AVI
      With the above I still had interlace jagged edges and fuzzy images. Not good enough for DVD in my opinion.

I now use this workflow:
      FX1 > Adobe CS3 > Interlace in time line > Blu-Ray Mpeg2
      Image quality is outstanding. No trace of interlacing at all.

Minimum target bitrate = 25
      Target bitrate = 30
      Maximum bitrate = 35

I even imported one of my mpeg2 files and output the file as DV-AVI and the quality was much lower.

Also I believe HDV cameras capture Mpeg2.

When I used standard DV I had little issues with DV-AVI and the quality was very good for DVD.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to choose the right computer for video editing: 4 key specs to check

Buying the best workstation for your needs means understanding how the CPU, GPU, RAM and storage options work together to enhance overall performance.
homicide-bootstrap