AVCHD Raw Files

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I think I may have made a mistake.

After connecting my camera to my pc and going in and seeing the AVCHD folder under my hard drive camera, I went into STREAM and just copied the video clips over. Should I have copied the whole AVCHD folder as the clips wont play? They would not play anyway when clicking on them before copying over.

Inactive

Yea AVCHD files won’t play on their own. So there’s nothing wrong there. You need to use the software provided from the camera manufacturer to play them on the computer. That software will usually have an ability to let you burn to a DVD in either SD or HD, but the AVCHD DVD will only play back on a compatible blu ray player such as a PS3. If you have an editing software such as Sony Vegas, you could play them back and edit them as need be also.

Participant

Thanks, the problem is that I am trying to bypass the software that came with my camera.

I just want the raw files and convert them but someone said it cant be done if the camera has a deal going with the software company – please tell me this aint true…

Inactive

AVCHD clips can be played with the appropriate video player software like PowerDVD. Microsoft has added support for AVCHD playback in Windows 7 (Media Player, Media Center).

AVCHD is a well known standard. There shouldn’t be anything proprietary about the software that came with your camcorder. Any software that supports AVCHD editing should support your camera.

I wouldn’t suggest that you convert the files. It is much better to edit AVCHD natively, without converting to another format first (which will cause a loss of quality as you decode and re-encode).

Tom

Participant

If you’re looking for a program the convert the AVCHD files, I’d highly recommend VoltaicHD (http://www.shedworx.com/). It does cost $34.99, but it’s worth every penny.

Participant

Will I lose quality but.

Participant

I have progressed a little. For some reason I had to go up into tools and use the Movie Wizard as it would not import from panel of options on the right hand side of the editing screen which you would have thought would be the place to start.

My files are viewable and I was able to import to the movie wizard. The only problem I seem to be having is that movie wizard seems to be an automatic movie maker and wants to impose themes and stuff and make an auto movie. Surely i dont have to make an auto movie just so Corel can import from that program as well? This is what I am trying to avoid – putting my clips through yet another program sucking out quality.

Participant

I can’t speak for other NLE’s but Sony Vegas Pro (8 & 9) edit AVCHD natively – Caveat is you need a really fast processor and enough RAM but a fast Core 2 Duo with 3GB RAM should suffice.

If you are still having problems, UpShift from NewBlueFX and VASST ($79 – price went up) will convert MTS files to lightly compressed M2T files with variable level of degradation (from none to minor to moderate). You can check it out here: http://www.newbluefx.com/avchd-upshift.html?vmcchk=1

Participant

its ok now, from “file” in the top left corner i was able to retrieve the raw clips straight into Corel bypassing the movie wizard. I used “import movie clips” and they came staight in, no converting needed. This still does not explain why I cant do it through the panel to the right of the screen in Corel. I have just been given a patch link for Corel update so will place it down in that thread for anyone interested. Maybe this will fix the import problem.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap