AVCHD questions.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I was wondering about the pros and cons of AVCHD. I edit with final cut pro and would like to have some insight on the good thing and flaws of the format

Inactive

Hey!

I use a AVCHD canon camcorder and i think its fantastic… well, i will list what you want:

Pros :

1) Its very compressed (some will say that this is a con. i dont think so). So, more video will fit in smaller media, like a 1.3 GB dvd.

2) New programs, like Premiere Pro CS4 and Sony Vegas Pro 8, can nativelly support AVCHD, so you can edit it smoothily and easily.

3)AVCHD = HD =D

4) Its somewhat inexpensive

5) Its more “movable”

CONS:

1) Older or low ending Editing program wont support AVCHD

2) Some people say that its not “True HD” (1920×1080), but i disagree with that

3) Some people say that it dosnt look like a real HD image. I disagree…i cant see a difference between AVCHD and HDV, for example.

4)You need a somewhat powerful PC to be able to edit it.

Sorry its very little. but i am in such a hurry……Oh, i use AVCHD and i loved it since the first second.

PS.: I use a HP Media Center m8034n to edit my AVCHD footage.

Hope i have Helped,

Caio

Participant

Its more “movable”

What does that mean?

Its very compressed (some will say that this is a con. i dont think so).

Like always, it depends what you’re doing. For Shippociao it may not be a bad thing. Very compressed video is a bad thing if you want effects and compositing; however, the high compression is good if you are shooting long days without the chance to offload footage from your media to a laptop. In my opinion though, if I were shooting a long day, I’d go with miniDV tapes. AVCHD is more compressed than miniDV; why would you want to take more resolution/more information and compressed even more?

Some people say that its not “True HD” (1920×1080), but i disagree with that

It’s not true HD. You can’t just say you disagree with it…too bad, it’s not true HD. AVCHD records 1440X1080 and then stretches the pixels to cover 1920X1080. Same with HDV and some DVCPro HD.

You need a somewhat powerful PC to be able to edit it.

I’m not sure about that. This isn’t a demanding codec, and I believe an average modern computer can handle AVCHD, so long you have software that supports the codec, as mentined above.

AVCHD is mainly a consumer codec, although some prosumer cameras do record AVCHD. Every time I see an ad for a prosumer level camera that records AVCHD, it seems to be directed toward wedding videographers, and wedding videographer need that long recording time that AVCHD allows. Also, when video is broadcast, I believe it’s compressed again. Wedding videos aren’t broadcast, so it’s not like the video is being HIGHLY compressed and then compressed again for broadcast. That would be bad.

So think about what you intent to do and go from there. If you’re an average consumer and you’re making home videos, AVCHD is fine for you.

Participant

Actually, I’m wrong. You can find some AVCHD cameras that do record the full 1920X1080.

Participant

The new Panny AVC prosumer model stands out as a good higher end AVCHD camera (P2 card based).

My consumer Sony SR11 is hard drive based and shoots at a full 1920 X 1080 @ 60i.

Participant

since I shoot Weddings using an hdrhc1 hdv and an sr12 avchd, here’s what I’ve noticed:

avchd won’t work on powerpc macs, only intel macs with multicore processors, hdv does work. for my workflow that means I do an import, using my macbook, for the sr12, while my imac imports the hvd. After importing the project on the macbook, I can edit it on the imac, by overlaying the video (full res, not the smaller res size that Imovie suggests on startup.) from the sr12 and the hdrhc1. I can then synch the clips and cut away from the top to bottom layers at will for multicam shots. It is impossible to tell which camera took which shot UNLESS you have alot of fast action (the sr12 does show artifacts more than the hc1) or low light (the sr12 has less noise, better color in low light). Then I add photos to the video for a finished project…..

The macbooks handle the video faster when editing, but the imac has a much bigger screen, and when you’ve pre planned everything, you can do some editing in the evening, and let it render overnight, leaving your laptops free for any location work the next am.

so whatever works…

Inactive

As soon you have no AVCHD video plug-ins to get help, you can seek a professional AVCHD MTS Converter as a try. 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The Best Bags and Cases

The best camera bags and cases — 2020

Finding the right camera bag or case for your gear can be challenging, particularly if this is the first bag or case you've ever purchased.
homicide-bootstrap