AVCHD In Vegas

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am thinking about purchasing a Canon HF200 soon but I have one main concern. I thought Sony Vegas supported the AVCHD format that this camera shoots in but as it turns out, it only supports Sony’s AVCHD format. So I was wondering if there was another format I could shoot in or if there is a way to load it into Sony Vegas without losing quality.

Thanks!

Participant

I keep on recommending New Blue FX AVCHD Upshift – It converts MTS (AVCHD) file to lightly compressed M2T files that are more easily edited – It gives you control of quality vs. speed. I use it all the time.

Participant

A lot of NLE’s are battling tha AVCHD files it seems all have to do some sort of conversion

Inactive

I dont think you are right. I edit videos shot on my CANON HR10 (Canon AVCHD) on my sony vegas pro 9 without problem. I just suggets you have a good graphics card.

Participant

Ok But most people don’t have these types of computers my Computer handles AVCHD alright in some cases depending I sometimes have to convert the files other times I do not. It sounds strange but this is how it works for me. Others I know have no problems with it at all, and still others I know fight with it on a constant basis. So If you have the computer and the hardware to handle AVCHD great if not Convert that is all I am saying. I have heard People say they have problems with this format on Vegas, Adobe, and Final cut. I have read even the big dogs fight with this format as well. Who Knows??

JBorunda, where did you hear it only supports “Sony’s” AVCHD? Sony created AVCHD (along with Panasonic) so is it possible they’re just referring to it as “Sony’s” product, not referring to a Sony “version” of it? (If that makes any sense.)

Inactive

I have Sony Vegas Pro and Sony Platinum. I had extreme problems editing my .mts files in these programs…until I upgraded my software.

You need quad core processor, at least 8GB of RAM, and a really good graphics card.

I have a bomb system, and ever since, I have been able to edit my Canon AVCHD .mts files with no problems in Sony programs.

Participant

Yes this is what I am hearing about Vegas and quad core at least. I have a quad core so I do not have these problems but those that do need to convert their files

Inactive

Really? Quad Core? That’s a bitexaggerated. I use a Dual Core 2.6, 4 GB of RAM, and a very messed up 500 GB Hard Drive, and i have a Nvidia 9800 GTX+ Graphics card. And i edit AVCHD footage with bunch of effects (including Magic Bullet’s Looks) and i can see the video almost in real time(it might skip only 3 frames per second, no biggie). You REALLY DONT need a “bomb system” to edit AVCHD using Vegas. That’s what i like in it.

Participant

I too have edited MTS in Vegas on a Core 2 Duo w/ 2GB RAM – It was OK – Stuttered a little on playback. Converting to M2T, or something else less compressed while keeping the quality, is a good idea for almost any non-killer system.

Bottom line is you can do it, as Shippo points out, but why ask for possible frustration.

Participant

I just finished a project shot on my Z7U (m2t files) and my new HXR-MC1 (mts files). I haven’t had the MC1 long and this was the first footage I had done anything serious with. My quad core Xeon did ok with it but it was “different” than working with the m2t files. For example. just dropping them on the timeline seemed to take a lot longer. Color correction and other such simple tasks seemed to affect playback – and this is all footage from Sony cams, so….(and I have a quad core Xeon with 8GB RAM).

Inactive

Man, it seems that my poor Dual Core is outshinign those Xeons, huh? lol I recommend you maintain your system at least once a week. Every weekend i delete all theuseless stuff , use the Windows Driver Wiper thing, then use CC Cleaner to clean all the trash in my pc as well as the useless files in the RegEdit thing. Then i scan my pc using 3 antiviruses (Norton 360, AVG Free, and Microsoft Essentials), and then defrag my HD. By the end of the day my pc is almost as new. Maybe that is why Vegas isnt handling the AVCHD footage so well.

Inactive

I just got the Canon HF200 and I recorded some video. I have the MTS file on my computer but I can’t find a way to use it in Vegas. I’m sorry for not specifying earlier but I use Sony Vegas Platinum, not Pro. Would I have to convert it or is there some way I can edit the MTS file itself in Vegas?

Thanks for the help everyone 🙂

EDIT:

The problem is that Vegas won’t recognize it as a video file. When I try to use it with Vegas I get the screen asking me which program i should use to open it.

Participant

Vegas MS Platinum should be able to process the MTS files (AVCHD) however, your computer may not be powerful enough – If you have an older machine with not scads of memory you may need to convert the files to something less compressed to edit on your box. I use AVCHD Upshift from New Blue FX but there are others.

Participant

I have the same camera, what I discovered was that the camera came with software that can easliy convert your .mts files to mpeg 2 files. install both the pixela cds that came with the camera and convert the files in there to your video files folder.

Participant

Yea if you go to the Sony Vegas Forum you will see the same comments there some guys have trouble with this format all the time and others do not, I guess it all depends on your computer and who knows what else. I have never had problems but others there fight it all the time. Do what Birdcat says convert it and all will be well

Participant

I have a Canon Vixia Hg20, and I am able to edit the .mts files that it creates directly. the only reason that you would have to convert it, is if you had a lower end computer and needed something that didn’t require as much power. (I had to buy an entire computer win an intell core i7 920, and Nvidia GTX 260 just to be able to edit .mts files effectively) but if you do have a higher end computer, I would recommend just editing it as it is so that it doesn’t use up space on your computer for the converted file.

Participant

Hey guys, Ive had this problem for a long long time actually, i just haven’t done anything about it. i currently have Sony Vegas platinum edition on my computer and when i try to load AVCHD it just freezes. The only exception is when the video clip is shorter than 20 seconds. So now you may be thinking, ” hey kid your computers hardware is the problem!” But its not. Im sure of it

i currently have an Intel Q6700 Oc’d to 4.0 ghz (watercooled of course)

8gigs of ddr2 ram

GTX 470 SSC

2 1tb drives and a <span style=”visibility: visible;” id=”main”><span style=”visibility: visible;” id=”search”>Velociraptor</span></span> or OS only (win 7)64

anyway, ive tried everything to fix the problem!!! like re installing Vegas and even going as far to re install my OS! anyway guys i was wondering about your thoughts on this.

Participant

Certainly sounds like you have machine enough – Do you have problems with any other formats (AVI, MOV, etc…)?

You may have tried this already so pardon me, but have you loaded any updates from Sony? Vegas Pro has regular updates you can download that have bug fixes built in. Seems like they’d have the same thing for the Platinum series. Also, check for updates on your video card because if it’s not the codec’s in Studio, then it’s probably some weirdness going on with your GPU drivers. Look up the compatible video cards in the ‘white papers’ for Studio on the Sony site. Those are the two things that leap to mind because hardware-wise, your rig should be able to handle it. Another solution may be to just upgrade to Vegas Pro.

Inactive

I found a tip on one of the video forums I read ( possibly VMs forum) that solved a problem I was having with AVCHD files from a canon HF10 and an HF200 which was poor video quality in the main viewer of my Sony Vegas pro suite. I enter the AVCHD files into the timeline and the render them into either AVI files or MPEG2 files, send the original AVCHD file to my storage drive. Then I edit the footage in the rendered file with excellent images in the main view screen. This was a lifesaver when I was editing a six camera shoot of a local play.

My problem is the result of my computer using a 2.8 gigahertz dual core processer with 4 gigs of ram and a good video card is not quite enough power to do the job.

Other than this issue, I have had no problems with AVCHD files in Sony Vegas pro

Participant

old thread, still want to post here for some guys who may have such problem. You can try some free avchd converter to help. But still conversion may cause some quality lose. but MP4 is just a container, the codec inside are the true thing to do the trick.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap