AVCHD??

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hey Guys,

I Just bought a new camcorder that records avchd files in DVDs.. (yeah, i know…stupid idea!)

So, i was searching for the best editing program that supports avchd. i saw the final cut pro and premiere pro sc3, but are they the best??

Maney is not a problem and my camcorder is the Canon HR10 (i bought for about $300, it was a good deal.)

Thanks for the Help,

CAio

Participant

The onlyAVCHD camera’s i’ve seen are from Sony, hence Sony Vegas works great. Our AVCHD cameras are Harddrive, but I like memory card cameras best so that’s my vote.

Sony Vegas is the best editing software I’ve found. It’s very easy to edit and VERY FAST at trimming, moving footage, making cuts or dissolves and importing (this is very important, since my boss changes his mind constantly). Vegas is also one of the top four software along with Premiere, Final Cut and Avid. I’ve used all of these but Premiere and still like Vegas.

Vegas is also cheap and really easy to learn, it’s a lot like Windows Movie Maker, if you’ve used that.

MY VOTE IS VEGAS!!

Inactive

But I also heard that MACs are also great (and some people say that its the best), is that true?

Should I consider buying a new mac only for video editing or should stick with my windows?

Thanks for the Help,
      Caio

Participant

Mac vs PC is a battle that will never end. It seems what it comes down to is personal past experience. Personally, PCs have NEVER worked for me. I feel they have useless “features,” dialogue boxes always come up even though you mark the checkbox that says “don’t ask again” and they seem to be more highlysusceptibleto viruses. This is based on my personal experience and opinion.

Ever since 2005, I’ve been using Mac and have RARELY came across any problems. The problems that I have come across were easily fixable and usually had more to deal with FCP than my Mac. Also, I feel Macs are more user friendly. When I first got one, it was so easy to learn the interface because I felt like things were where you would expect them to be.

What it always comes down to is preference, no matter what anyone says. That’s how it is with everything in this industry. But I will always argue that Mac is better, but in reality its preference.

If you end up getting a Mac, I don’t see you having any problems with Final Cut Pro. That’s what I use and I love it. If you get a PC, I suggest Premier or Vegas. I’ve never extensively used them, but they seem to have good reps.

I highly suggest you don’t use Avid. It’s a dinosaur.

Participant

Funny you had trouble with PCs. I’ve never had a problem.

I didn’t even know Macs were different from PCs until a years or so ago. Never used a real mac* exceptfor one class in collegeand felt uncomfortablewith it.

*a girl I knew put a mac logo sticker on her PC laptop because she thought it was “cute”

Hey Ciao! I think buying a whole new computer right off is not too swift unless you REALLY have the money and KNOW what you want. Beware of buyers remorse by studying a lot first. I edit stuff on my pc laptop. works great!

Participant

I run three macs.

highly recommend.

(add the cost of the pc equivelant iLife software, plus the cost of virus/spyware software to any pc) and you’ll find macs are less expensive to buy and cheaper to operate. (for comparable quality components and features).

Participant

also check that your camera is compatible, not all avchd cams are mac friendly

Inactive

ok. thanks for all the help guys!

Inactive

wait, would the Canon HR10 be compatible with MACs?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Storage Buyer's Guide

The best digital storage for video editors — 2020

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap