AUDIO_TS Folder on DVD’s

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

The folder structure on DVD’s is:

AUDIO_TS

VIDEO_TS

Since there is never anything in the audio folder, why is that in the folder structure?

Did the audio and video use to be split?

Participant

I have often thought that myself. Why an empty folder?

Participant

If you look at the files on a DVD, you will find that most DVDs have both a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, but the AUIDO_TS folder is usually empty. DVD-Audio would be stored in an AUDIO_TS folder but is a separate format to DVD-Video.
      The TS stands for ” title set” and is part of DVD structure. The VIDEO_TS folder will hold all the pertinent information such as information (IFO) and any backup (BUP) files that are necessary for the DVD to even be read.

AUDIO_TS is empty because it was created to hold a future audio format that would use DVD discs instead of CDs. At the time DVD standards were being created that format did not exist so the directory is always empty on video DVDs, but it eventually became DVD Audio.

Participant

So, what would happen if you DELETED the AUDIO_TS folder?

Participant

Nothing.

Participant

Asking fordisaster. Many older DVD players won’t play disks with no AUDIO_TS folder. If you are making disks for someone else’s consumption, consider creating the empty AUDIO_TS folder manually or otherwise. Learnt it hard way myself.

Participant

“nothing”

Is not entirely true. “It depends” is more accurate. Some DVD players will reject a disc without the audio_ts file because the DVD secification says that it should be there.

Audio DVD’s are a reality, or rather a solution looking for a problem. I have a DVD-A of “The Moody Blues” (“Knights in White Satin”) that can’t be played because so few players were ever made.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
homicide-bootstrap