Audio setup for DSLR’s cameras

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out a good dual system to use for my short film productions. If my crew has three Canon T2i DSLR’s, what would you suggest as a setup to get good audio? I have read several articles about using some solid state recording devices like ZOOM or possibly using a laptop setup. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

DarthDougy

My approach is to use one camera for the master audio and send the same audio to all the other cameras, which allows easy sync’ing in Adobe Premiere Pro. My multi-camera stuff is in a church where a mix from the house is available.

I’ve never user a free-standing recorder, which may theoretically have “better audio”, but most user playback devices can’t tell the difference. Actually, I’m afraid of the effort to attempt to sync camera video with a recorder audio.

Participant

synching in post is easy. zoom in and use the audio spikes to line it all up ( I do this with three camera shoots no problem) or do it automatically with software.

Participant

The sound on most DSLR’s for the most part doesn’t measure up especially if you only use the built in microphone. What we use is two fold approach. First, we use an external Rode Video mic on each camera to record ambientbackground sound and as a backup. Second we use a Zoom H4N with two mic’s plugged in (with the built in mic’s and the two external mic pickups you have 4 inputs). We use the two external mic’s (usually on a boom pole) to record the actual conversations of the scene. On occasion (interviews or where a scene allows it without detection) we use wireless lavalier mic’s connected to the H4N to capture the converstations . To achieve a synch point we use a clapboard to begin each take. In post it is easy to synch the clapboard spike across all the sound tracks.

This method has proven to work very well for us in just about every situation we have come up against.

Jeff,

Thanks….do you find that you do not need a mixer in your setup, or does the H4N work well enough alone?

DD

Participant

DD,

On occasion we have used a mixer – mostly though only when the location we are shooting has one (i.e. seminar, theater etc). In those cases we take the output from the sound board and or mixer and pump it directly into the H4N – this works out very nicely. And, in many of those case we many only use one additional mic (Rode Video on camera) to collect background. At some point we expect to purchase an audio board but it’s not in the cards at this time.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap