Audio set up help: What mics? Mackie Mixer?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Any ideas, thoughts, help would be gratefully accepted. I am bringing in the Canon GL2 as a new addition to my work. I have some basic Shure mics and a Mackie 402VLZ3 small mixer. My objective is to be able to travel with my equipment, show up at a location and be up and running to film and audio record. I think the Mackie mixer I have will work but I am asking if there are any mics (small) but that offer good audio recording quality.

Perhaps there are some of you out there who have a good menu of equipment you use that gives you high quality audio reproduction and can be carried around easily. Example: My GL2 in one shoulder and another carry bag for the rest of the equipment.

I welcome emails also at: tai@taicoproductions.com

Thank you very much

Tai Aguirre

Inactive

I have two GL2s that I use in weddings to supplement my XL2. For the GLs I use a BeachTek adapter which accepts XLR connections. The Beachtek connects to the tripod mount on the bottom of the cam and the tripod plate connects to the bottom of the Beachtek. I use Azden shotgun mics mounted on the cams wired to the Beachtek. It makes for a compact setup, lightweight and very mobile with very good sound. You can use two mics on each cam with this setup. Also, using the beachtek lets me wire one cam to the house mixer for direct line input which gives a little better control over audio.

I used the setup like you described at one time, but found the Beachtek solution from bhphotovideo.com a better solution for me. Like I said, less stuff to lug around and actually a little better quality. As a side note, using a small analog mixer seemed to give a little more of the analog hiss to the higher frequencies of the audio than I liked. I don’t seem to have that using the Beachtek.

Less is more for run-and-gun event video productions, especially weddings. Doing audio feeds, running cable and communicating between units is a LOT of labor for a field where B&Gs seem to want MORE for less every minute they shop around. Newmovies is ON IT with the “less to lug around” approach.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap