Audio Recording then Syncing in Post?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound Audio Recording then Syncing in Post?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am planning on using my minidisc player and a microphone to do what it says in the issue of videomaker for april. record the audio and then sync it in post. does that work well? any tips?

Participant

it should work fine, but you will get a hissing sound in the higher frequencies.

Participant

It all depends on the mic, mic preamp and MD recorder.
    For sure, if you plug a cheapo mic directly into a cheapo MD.. it will not sound good.
    In either case, your going to have to wild-sync it. But even cheap MDs will run stable for a few minutes.

Participant

SDF Wrote:

It all depends on the mic, mic preamp and MD recorder.
    For sure, if you plug a cheapo mic directly into a cheapo MD.. it will not sound good.
    In either case, your going to have to wild-sync it. But even cheap MDs will run stable for a few minutes.

What are you guys using? Premiere or FCP?

I use cheap MD’s with cheap stage microphones and I get some pretty awesome sound, no hiss and great dynamic range, and my audio is in perfect sync after an hour of shooting.

Steve

Participant

I’m looking into one of these:
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MicroTrack2496-main.html
    street price about $400 (maybe less). Seems to be designed with the professional in mind. Great alternative to wireless or minidisk.

Participant

Endeavor Wrote:

I’m looking into one of these:
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MicroTrack2496-main.html
    street price about $400 (maybe less). Seems to be designed with the professional in mind. Great alternative to wireless or minidisk.

Go for it. If I could afford them, I would replace my MD’s with the M-Audio units right now.

Participant

My only reservation is that I haven’t used them or heard from anyone who has. Dont want to find out that there is that one little problem…but from what I see and read, you can’t do much better for the price.

Participant

The iAUDEO U2 is kindof cool. I plan to use its on-board mic in for home video’s. Recordings sound good.

It only has line-in for your other input option so the small size (pack of gum) would take a hit with the mic pre-amp circuit size.

Participant

Syncing in post is a fairly easy task, my best advice for this is to turn audio waveforms on so that you can see what the audio is doing. That way, you can line up the peaks when there is a loud sound and the syncing is much more precise.

Later
    ~Adam
    http://www.inmotionvideo.biz

• Viewing 8 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap