Audio glitches using remote mics

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello,
      I’m a pro-videographer. A few weeks ago I was hired to tape a Xmas event. Since I was filming from the balcony I used two remote mics which were posted near the stage to get better audio. I used a wireless mic (which has not previously caused any problems) and an wired mic with a cable length of about 75-100 feet. The cable was hidden so that no one could walk on it. Both mic inputs are XLR and the mics are high quality. When it came time to edit I noticed a very annoying “glitch” that would crop up from time to time in the production. It is sort of a popping sound that lasts about 1/10th of a second. Sometimes it would be infrequent, othertimes it would occurr every ten seconds or so. I had to spend a lot of time editing out these glitches. Has anyone else ever encountered this problem? Any guesses as to what caused it (e.g. the length of the cable on the wired mic?)? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Inactive

I really have no idea of what caused the problem. Just wanted to let you know that someone read your post, ha.

I have to do the same thing as you (film from balcony) all the time. I think you probably isolated the problem yourself because it only occurred with your wired mic. Over that sort of length, any connection or wire problem could be the culprit – maybe even the mic.

I tried using one wireless and one wired mic exactly once and I’ll never do it again! Had all sorts of problems – much worse than yours. So I use either one type or the other. Dumb as it may sound, I’d get another wireless mic.

Phil

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap