Audio for a documentary

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I may be shooting a documentary in Africa soon. It will all be shot and edited by me. I have 2 Canon GL2s the MA-300 audio adapter so I have the xlr inputs. I have 2 sony wireless lavs, a samson handheld and two rode ntg-2 shotguns.

There will be 2 main subjects adn I would like to have the both miced up, since I can only run one camera at a time for the most part, I won’t be able to pick up any significant background noise, like other people talking for instance.

I have considered getting an additional mixer. Running the other camera just for sound whenever it is convenient.

Any further ideas?

EarlC

Get a Zoom H2 and use it for ambient sound recourding. It is a wonderful piece of redundant audio reinforcement, small and compact. You’ll need plenty of batteries and a few SDHC cards. Don’t leave home without it. 🙂

Anonymous
      Inactive

How omnidirectional is it and how much space does it take up?

EarlC

It is approximately 1.5 inches thick, maybe 3 inches wide and maybe 5 inches tall, give or take. It has two sides, both stereo, or you have the option of operating a 4-channel recording mode for surround sound implementation (not likely a concern for your current anticipated needs, but…) – one side records at a 90 degree angle, the other at a 120 degree angle.

Check it out at http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/

Yes, I have and use four of them often, and am VERY pleased with their ease of use, quality of recording and diversity.

CraftersOfLight
      Participant

I would like to add, if you do choose them, practice with them before a critical shoot so you get the feel of them and to know their operation. Read the instructions, they are not as intuitive as they appear.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Sound’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN