Aternative method to Black Striping

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am a videographer who uses MiniDV tapes. Now I tend to reuse old tapes that have content I no longer need. The problem I have is that I find myself having to black stripe alot and I fear that I am putting alot of wear on my cameras. I know that I could get a mini dv tape deck and do it that way, but I still will be putting alot of use on the deck and not to mention it takes forever to black stripe tapes for a shoot that could last a few hours. Are they any faster and cheaper alternatives out there that anyone knows about?

Participant

Agreed…

I used to black stripe, but found it painful and unnecessary. The best practice I have now is NEVER rewind your tape during a shoot. It wears the battery down and causes timecode issues (eventually.)

Kenny

Participant

I’m not having any timecode issues, the reason I am black striping, is because I am shooting in a start and stop manner. Now on a new tape it isn’t a problem, but when I am reusing an older tape I get flash frames of old footage in between my stopages. Also, I have been told that with the type of shooting I am doing that it is nessesary to black stripe otherwise I will have flash frame problems throughout my tapes. This is what I have been taught in Broadcasting school. Even with new tapes we were instructed to black stripe all the time, to avoid black spots regardless to what we are taping

Inactive

Personally, when I think of black striping, I think of formalities like setting up a "proper" dinner table complete with five utensils per person, cloth napkins, candelabra, and violinist. Black striping is the "Proper" way to do things, but I’ve discovered that in the grisly, in-your-face world of real life live event videography, things don’t always happen in the "Proper" manner, nor do they need to.

Just as I settle for food on the go, and those pesky artery clogs sold at BK and McDonald’s, sometimes doing things "the right way" is just simply impractical and honestly a waste of time.

Sure, I could spend 10 hours striping, film 10 hours, and then spend 10 hours dumping to tape, but when you add in setup time, that’s nearing into a full work week for what I can do in just about half that time otherwise.

If you must stripe your tapes, the only way to go is a separate deck. Actually, go buy the cheapest MiniDV that you can find for $150 in a pawn shop and use that. That way, when the head does die, it’s inexpensive to replace, and you get another camera to experiment with (albeit a super crappy camera). The other option is to buy tapes that are already striped for you (I’ve seen them online). You pay a lot more, and you’re technically getting a used tape, not to mention the questions about the camera it was recorded on, etc… but the job is done just as quick as it can be shipped to you.

Again, Even with run and gun shooting, I never use striped tape, and I never have a problem. It’s worth considering that perhaps the problem is actually due to a malfunction in your actual camera. I do put a lot of respect into folks who have taken the time to take formal broadcasting training, but like all professions, there’s a right way to do things, and there’s the real way to do ’em.

Take care! πŸ™‚

Participant

General consensus here in the UK is that striping a DV tape is totally pointless, increases the chance of drop-outs, then adds extra wear to fairly light duty tape mechanisms. In good old analogue days there was some point, mainly to do with continuity of code. The real point is should you re-use tapes? For me, the answer is a solid NO – Never! My thoughts are that if you have to re-use tapes for economy reasons, you are accepting the fact that previous wear could be a problem, so the occasional flash of old material isn’t a big deal? You’re more likely to get pixelated drop outs that annoy, than the occasional flash frame! There is no technical reason any longer to do this – and it really does increase wear and tear – and fixing this is rarely economic, certainly in the cameras where throwing a perfectly good camera away because the transport is worn out seems quite common!

Inactive

I reuse old tapes all the time and never have any problems. The thing you need to do is to stripe your tapes before you use them. That way the timecode is set and no matter what you do to it you will never have issues.

Inactive

I disagree with striping the tapes. You can always record a second or two more in each shot and then review back a second to get the next start point with current footage. As a general rule of thumb, always start tape early in the shot (a few seconds) and stop a few seconds after "CUT!".

John

Inactive

Striping before hand eliminates the need to do extra work during the shoot. I don’t know about you but when I am shooting i would rather concentrate on the shoot and not weather I have rewound my tape or not for the next scene. Everyone uses this method.

Have you consider abandoning tape altogether and using a DTE or Direct to Hard Disk recorder? If you have no need to save your original footage, this device will save you a lot time and money– no more tape blacking, no more capturing in post, no more tape purchases. And, more importantly, no more hassle from the anti-tape-blacking community.

Just a thought.

Mark

Here’s some solutions (not complete and check the dates on these):
      http://www.videomaker.com/article/12601/
      http://www.videomaker.com/article/10957/

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year β€” 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap