Assistance with choosing a laptop 4 video editing

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Assistance with choosing a laptop 4 video editing

• This topic has 5 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 15 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Going to buy a laptop for video editing. Would like for it to be durable, mid-sized, and have enough power/speed/memory to do video editing. Can you suggest one for around $800 to $1200 ? Doesn’t matter which brand, however I would like one that is highly rated. Thank you!

Inactive

Editing video on a laptop can be very difficult unless it is "Super Charged!" I’m afraid that the price you’re talking about won’t be enough. A laptop with fast enough HD’s, good graphics, a fast CPU and enough RAM to edit video will cost twice that much.

Working with digital video editing is probably the most (if not THE most) demanding process one can subject a PC too. That’s why they require a lot of horsepower.

RAM

Participant

I agree with maniac. Although you could edit video on a less powerful laptop, I think you would find it to be much more or a frustrating experience than an enjoyable one. I have a cheaper celeron laptop around $800 that is great for day to day work, but for editing, I leave that to my AMD dual core desktop machine. If you definately want to go with a laptop, get the best processor possible for the money. A bunch of RAM would be great too, but that is upgradable. You will want firewire ports built in for external hard drives for video storage, and for capturing. My advise, save up and get a $2000+ laptop for editing, or get a desktop to start with now for the $1200 you are willing to spend.

later
      ~Adam

Inactive

Ok how about just getting the home movies on to DVD, will I still need such a powerful pc? All I want to do is maybee cut out a few parts and then burn it to DVD.
      Thanks for the reply’s.

Participant

I disagree with the previous posts. I think that any off the shelf pc today desktop or laptop is fast enough for video editing and graphics creation. I am currently using a 2yo laptop that I got for 1300 2 years ago to create graphics in After Effects. While a desktop may be faster than a laptop they are still well suited for video editing. If I were you I would look at a Core Duo based laptop and stuff it with as much ram as you can afford and get a external drive for storage. It will scream compared many current desktops. It used to be the case that laptops were incapable of editing video that day has passed us now.

Inactive

videolab Wrote:

I disagree with the previous posts.

What’s to disagree with? I mentioned (so did alohrey) that you could do it as long as your laptop was "Super Charged". Kind of like what you’re saying when you telling him to get a duel core, lots of RAM and external hard drives.

He also had a low price allowance in mind. You’re not going to get all the stuff you mentioned for what he wanted to spend.

One last thing. I agree that there are maybe a few laptops that can handle video out there but only if you aren’t in a hurry to get things done. For me I don’t have time waiting for things to get done.

RAM

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap