Aspiring Flim Maker. Any advice on a good 3CCD camcorder?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders Other Camcorders Aspiring Flim Maker. Any advice on a good 3CCD camcorder?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’m in need of a new camcorder, (less than $1000) that’s a 3 chip.

So far I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Panasonic Gs500, but nothing else.

I love making short films, and I film both indoors and out.

Got any suggestions?

P.S.
      I thought this would be in the right forum, please inform me if it isnt.

Participant

I hope you meant $10,000 not $1,000 because unless you get a used camera (and not the newest or best) I don’t think you’re going to find one for that price.

Maybe keep checking on eBay.

Good luck.

Inactive

birdcat Wrote:

I hope you meant $10,000 not $1,000 because unless you get a used camera (and not the newest or best) I don’t think you’re going to find one for that price.

Maybe keep checking on eBay.

Good luck.

No, I meant $1000.

The GS500’s lowest price for a new one is $693
      I can’t imagine that every single other one is above $10,000

Participant

It sounds like a good camera for its price. I think my church has one of these.
      But for someone who wants to make films, films, you would want a lot more manual control. Something you’ll want to grow familiar with is manipulating the depth of field, the relations between shutter speed and aperture size, and other somewhat advanced techniques. Also shot composition and lighting are important to have strength in.

If I were you though, I would probably go for a Canon HV20 or the Sony HDR series. I think there’s a lot more going for those cameras than the panasonic.

Participant

Reitis Wrote:

No, I meant $1000.

The GS500’s lowest price for a new one is $693
      I can’t imagine that every single other one is above $10,000

I heartily apologize – I did not even realize that Panasonic offered a sub $1000 three chip camera.

I was reading the reviews of the GS500 – They are not kind so maybe you can find a GS400 which seems to have fared better in the reviews of it.

What other sub $1000 3-chip cameras have you used?

I was lamenting that I couldn’t afford a decent three chip model for the foreseeable future but a used GS400 just might tide me over until I can afford that FX1 or Z1U.

Participant

Spencer Stewart Wrote:

But for someone who wants to make films, films, you would want a lot more manual control. Something you’ll want to grow familiar with is manipulating the depth of field, the relations between shutter speed and aperture size, and other somewhat advanced techniques. Also shot composition and lighting are important to have strength in.

If I were you though, I would probably go for a Canon HV20 or the Sony HDR series. I think there’s a lot more going for those cameras than the panasonic.

HV20 (~$1000) + 35mm adapter (~1000) + matte box, follow focus, rails, etc. (~500) + lights + dolly + mics == ~$3000

birdcat Wrote:

I heartily apologize – I did not even realize that Panasonic offered a sub $1000 three chip camera.

Current Panasonic GS320 has 3CCD and costs ~$500, but has no mic input. I would search for a used GL2, it is possible to get one for ~$1000. It is 3CCD, has good manual controls. The downside: it’s not HD; no real widescreen, just cuts off top/bottom pixels and blows up the image. HV20 has bigger chip, but it is one CMOS chip, not three.

Michael, Canon Elura User Pages

Participant

Jockey Wrote:

HV20 (~$1000) + 35mm adapter (~1000) + matte box, follow focus, rails, etc. (~500) + lights + dolly + mics == ~$3000

Michael, Canon Elura User Pages

That would be an awesome setup. The HV20 looks amazing with a 35mm adapter. With a follow focus… πŸ˜€ that would be a dream.

The Gl2 is a great camera with more manual controls than the HV20. I haven’t used the HV20, but the GL2 is a great camera with pretty good picture quality, a nice 20x zoom lens, manual aperture, shutter speed, focus, white balance, audio controls, and a few other features.
      The HV20, (i think) is limited to manual shutter speed, and no manual control over the aperture or audio.

Inactive

Spencer Stewart Wrote:

Hmm, I’ll have to check those out! Thanks for the advice! ^^

Birdcat: Don’t worry about it… and… I was worried that the visual quality would degrade with an older version of the panasonic series… that’s the only reason I haven’t tried the others.
      I’ve tried numerous 3 chips, but all of them really cheap.

jockey: Now I wish I had 3000 dollars :'(

Participant

I’ve just purchased a HV20. I plan on maybe making my on 35mm adapter, but I don’t know what to get for a matte box, follow focus, rails, and such without being ridiculously high in price.

Inactive

you may be able to find a Sony VX2100 or a Panasonic DVX100B for around the lower 1000 dollar range. Those are not HD camcorders but you can do alot with them and make a very high quality production. I own a Sony VX2100 and love it.

Inactive

If you can get a hold to $2000.00 I’ve seen the canon xl2’s on ebay, not HD but it is an excellent camera, plus half of america don’t have HD, still room for SD.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera β€” 2020

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers...
homicide-bootstrap